1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

zoom b3 vs stomp boxes

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by zaviere, Feb 14, 2013.

1. zaviere

zaviere

How many of you guys think this can replace stomp boxes fairly well in a live setting?

Thinking of pulling the trigger on one but just dunno if the quality is there. Nice not to have to worry about patch cables going out. One convenient stomp unit vs a mess of wires etc...

Did a search on the subject but came up short. Hope I dont alert the search police hehe:meh:
  2. NoxNoctus

NoxNoctus The Crushinator Supporting Member

As a rule, individual stops will give you a broader spectrum of options and tones. Dirt on Multi-effects usually leaves a little to be desired, but delays, chorus, synths, usually do extremely well.

I use a full pedalboard with ODs, fuzzed, delays, and augment it with some synths and other trinkets on a Zoom B9.1. It keeps up VERY well :)

On another note, if you're just starting out in the FX world, multis are GREAT at helping you figure out exactly what you want on your board at a cheap price. A Zoom B3 is cheaper than most boutique pedals...

Forgot to address your main reason for posting. lol. I think it can, depending on use. Phil Buckman of Filter uses 2 B3's live, and it's incredible. Thats one off hand that I know. Richard Patrick uses the G3 and a Line 6 Delay, killer tones on the guitar side.
  3. Cycho

Cycho

4. zaviere

zaviere

lol thanks. I tried everything EXCEPT "zoom b3 vs individual" ... I tried zoom b3 vs: stomp, stompboxes, single, etc...
  5. Swift713

Swift713

Seriously, only you can decide if you like the B3.. Give it a whirl, if it doesn't float your boat return it.
  6. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

I have a zoom b3 and I totally dig it. even though the sound quality is a little different compare to some stomp boxes, I do like the effects, amp, and cab models that it provides. I have done some sound samples of the zoom b3 on my soundclick website. here's the link if you like to check it out.

www.soundclick.com/crystalman85

Also I have started a thread on patch ideas for the zoom b3. if you wanted some nifty patch ideas for your zoom b3, come check out this link.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f36/zoom-b3-patch-ideas-918990/
  7. OzzyGreg

OzzyGreg Supporting Member

It was Crystalman85's soundclick samples that convinced me to buy my B3. I've never looked back.
  8. beardedclam

beardedclam

If your not the search police, who is?
  9. morgansterne

morgansterne

first off I'm gonna trademark "fxophile"

if you use effects and love effects, you might not like the B3. I like mine alot, but I tend to just use a compressor, switch amp tones for a particular song, maybe add chorus once per night.

I'm not picky enough about it to spend an extra thousand dollars buying a dozen different pedals.
  10. gard0300

gard0300 Supporting Member

I don't use a ton of effects, but I recently sold all my stomps. I had eight stomps and I feel the B3 does a fair to good job at live venues. I may buy additional B3 to experiment a little more.
  11. dunic

dunic

I actually went from selling all my single pedals for a B3 because I hated all the noise all my separate pedals made together. The sweep of my chorus was noticeable even when it was turned off. Same goes for my tremolo, phaser, etc.

The B3 is dead quiet, and I liked 90% of the content and functions. The concept of having almost everything in one box, what's not to like! Only having 3 effects active at the same time turned out to be good enough for most of my effect needs.

In reality I only used one patch that I kept changing every time, despite the fact you can store a lot of patches. Scrolling down the individual banks searching for effects, in the long run it wasn't working for me. When looking for tones I do not want to scroll thru menus, having physical stompboxes apparently works a lot better for me. It's a mental thing for sure, but now that I have a stabilized powersupply and all of the earlier described noise is gone, I'm sticking with my single pedals... at least until the zoom B3 mk2 or something better ;)
  12. john_martin_sai

john_martin_sai

I'm happy enough with my Zoom B2 !
  13. Daniel Piper

Daniel Piper

Sold off some ehx, fuzzrocious, sansamp and mojo hand pedals once I got mine.

Really is a well engineered piece of tech

When you read the threads there's always people barkin on about not being able to run 6 effects, or it not having a universal gate, or not being able to save loops, but honestly, as a live tool it really is great - and DOES allow for quick changes in tone.

You just have to 'queue the effects up in the right order.
  14. canshaker

canshaker

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Hartke/Zoom/ESP/D'Addario/Line 6/Dunlop/Normandy.
    Thanks! I appreciate that. Yeah, I love them.
    And Rich is now just using a G5, and nothing else.
  15. NoxNoctus

NoxNoctus The Crushinator Supporting Member

Any time Phil. How's the Hartke rig treating you?

Cant wait to hear the new album. The little clips Rich has been throwing around are killer. Does the B3 make an appearance?
  16. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

The B3 seems to be pretty sweet. I particularly like the tracking down low on the synth, filter and octave pedals. That and the Avalon U5 emulation. Gotts start investgating a patch library...
  17. gard0300

gard0300 Supporting Member

My second B3 should be arriving tomorrow!!!! Yippee!!!!
  18. nrbxbuev

nrbxbuev

hats one off hand that I know. Richard Patrick uses the G3 and a Line 6 Delay, killer tones on the guitar side.[​IMG]