1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Zoom B3? Yay or Nay?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JakeBass92, Mar 16, 2014.

1. JakeBass92

JakeBass92

I'm looking for peoples opinions/incite on the Zoom B3. Im looking to start using some pedals and have been researching and was wondering if these are any good. Just looking to know if they sound good and if it has a good selection to choose from. Thanks Guys:)

2. lokikallas

lokikallas

Search TB, there are two dedicated threads, one of which has a link to a YouTube demo of all fx.

3. KidChar15

KidChar15

I have one. I love it and gig with it. With the tuner and three effects, it has a great deal of utility. It makes things very simple. I use the D-comp, Exciter, and B-Man amp simulator, running it straight into the front of my Jeff Berlin combo. Going from memory, as it's at my band room, but there's a cab mix parameter, which is the last "knob" on whichever amp simulation you're using. For my purposes, I set it to zero, from whatever the default is. I leave the Exciter off, except for when I need a boost for the rare solo.

4. Tecate

Tecate

I really like mine....tons of options and good sound.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. G On Bass

G On Bass Previously Grateful Supporting Member

I use mine constantly. It's on the desk hooked up to the computer at home for practice, and it has also gone out for many gigs. Love it.

7. Swift713

Swift713

Yay.
    I love it. I do use a separate boutique overdrive but for most everything else the B3 covers it.

8. xbud

xbud Supporting Member

I had the B3 but I sold it once the MS60-B came out. Smaller and it fits in my gig bag. Also the ability to use 4 effects at the same time (I rarely use this feature).

9. avvie

avvie

Yay.
    This coming from a guy who hates multis and isn't terribly fond of digitals. Lots of good reasons to have one on the board. I cover all the basics with dedicated pedals and put the B3 in a loop for specialized settings.

10. bassbrad

bassbrad

Yup, really really good multi effect.

11. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Definitely a yay. it's a really good multi-effects processor to own.

12. HaveBlue

HaveBlue Supporting Member

I've owned one for a week now. I've always been skeptical about digital effects but I must say that the B3 got me seriously thinking of leaving my analog pedalboard at home for gigs and practice. I bought it because I wanted a second tuner and looper but the price of the B3 was lower then the two other pedals I had in mind combined (and I got a basic USB recording interface, D.I. out, drum 'computer' and 111 effects thrown into the deal ;) )

Looper, tuner, USB interface and drum machine are all decent nice-to-haves but when it comes to the effects (and their overall quality) it has to offer, it's really a no-brainer considering the price. Amp modelling for instance is more than good enough, the DBX 160A Compressor effect actually feels like a DBX 160A compressor/limiter and some of the Fuzz/OD's come pretty close to their stompbox counterparts as well.

Leave the factory default patches alone and swap with your own since the factory ones are mostly unusable and over-the-top. Getting your own tones out of it is a piece of cake without any form of steep learning curve and the Zoom Edit&Share software enables you to drag 'n drop your own patches visually from behind your monitor.

Considering the price, feature set and effects quality: highly recommended. A definite yay.

13. Alex Da Silva

Alex Da Silva

Yay,

Very useful thing, asides from the effects, processors and modeling, you get a DI out and a Usb interface (+a looper and a drumachine). It does sound good (not just for the price) and with a little bit of tinkering there are a lot of usable solid tones to be had.

14. TBAR Shane

TBAR Shane

A very strong Yay.
    I have a B3 and an MS-60B. I find myself using both consistently. The B3 especially has become the most useful tool that I use aside from my bass.

15. Seryna

Seryna

As a minimalist bassist, I think the Zoom B3 is all I will ever need.

16. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

I use one as a pre-amp and use the effects when using it as a pre, but I would never run this in my signal chain. I don't really use effects for the most part, plus I find a large portion of the effects are pretty much useless and another portion is stuff I would never use or doesn't sit well in the mix. The chorus and wahs are alright but the distortion and the compressors are all pretty useless. The amp models are usable, however I much prefer my Roland Cube simulators.

For $100 though, it remains a great practice tool. I don't see myself selling it anytime soon.

17. rsm

rsm

I use mine as my main rig these days, see signature (and I run from FRFR to FOH if needed). I plan to get a B1Xon for more effects per preset.