Zoom b3

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by funkybass, Jan 12, 2014.

1. funkybass

funkybass

Our church has a new sound system with in ear monitors and now we have no amps on stage. I'm thinking of getting a zoom b3, mainly for the amp models, but the fx would be cool too. Anyone use one without an amp? What's your experience with it?

2. Grateful

Grateful Supporting Member

There are probably 5-6 very long thread on the B3 here, covering lots of peoples' experiences.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f36/zoom-b3-multi-effects-part-2-a-1039928/

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f36/zoom-b3-patch-ideas-918990/

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f36/zoom-b3-preamp-part-2-a-1039929/
    just for starters....

3. oldcatfish

oldcatfish

It will work great, but may take a little tweaking. I don't have a B3, but use a small page pedal board with a Zoom ms60b, Tech 21 VT bass, and a Zoom B2.1u. I play at a variety of venues, including churches with in-ear only systems.

Pedals like the B3 actually sound their best through a full range system(including in-ears), as opposed to through an traditional amp. You will want to make sure to have the cab simulator settings at 100% to emulate any amps, for best results.

4. CharlieC

CharlieC Supporting Member

+1

:bassist:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. GMC

GMC Supporting Member

It's a pit there's no Trace Elliot simulator.

7. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much Supporting Member

That's exactly how I use it. I play direct with IEMs at church and had been used to just plugging into a DI (occasionally using effects pedals). I borrowed one and the amp models alone were enough to convince me to get one. The effects are a cool addition but when playing ampless, those amp models do a really good job of giving a more natural, less dry bass sound.

As others have said, check out the big threads (particularly the 'B3 as preamp' ones), and make sure (as oldcatfish says) that you set the cabinet mix to 100% to get the best results.

Enjoy!

8. khutch

khutch Praise Harp Supporting Member

My church is like that too. I use the MS60B and while the amp models sound great at home through my reasonably wide range keyboard amp and while the church sound system is wide range too, ultimately the sound of my bass depends on how the sound booth EQs it. So I take the apparently radical approach on TB of letting them do their jobs and I don't worry about it. I use the MS60B for other reasons and while I do use the amp models at church I can't say if the congregation could tell the difference. The feed I get from the IEMs bears little resemblance to what the congregation hears.

9. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

The B3 is great in this respect. The DI is very clean and it also has a pre & post switch. If you set it to pre the mute will not work and it will function more like a straight DI but if you set it to post it will work just like a preamp.