1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Zoom B3...?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by raul, Jan 22, 2014.

1. raul

raul

Is it really that good? Worth it? I've got some awesome dirt and fuzz pedals, maybe the B3 will be awesome for everything else like phase delay filters etc..? Is it a good move to get one?
  2. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Did you do a search? There are like 4 mega threads dedicated to the b3. It works for me. I just picked up the accessory pedal and it is everything I need. For 300 bucks new you're not going to find more bang for your buck.
  3. oldcatfish

oldcatfish

By most accounts, the dirt/fuzz section is the weakest link of the B3. So for you it would probably be a good option, since you've already got those covered.
  4. jimfist

jimfist Supporting Member

scratch and dent full factory warranty for $149.95 delivered...like knew condition from Zzounds about a month ago. Worth every penny. There are a lot of different effects and amp/preamp models to muck with. If you only found a handful of things to like (in addition to the tuner and drum machine), it would be worth it, right? Tough to go wrong with the basic chorus, flanger, phaser, tremolo, filter effects...the fretless emulator is slick, and I'm always using the SVT amp model and some type of compressor. Programmable multi stomp...built in XLR direct out... Gotta be something you'll like in this pedal. If you're a cork sniffer, then you're in the wrong place. But otherwise....go for it!
  5. GMC

GMC

I've had my B3 for about 6 months now and I love it. It's the core of my fx chain, the fuzz / distortions aren't it's strong point. But the octaver, chorus, synth, wah, DI, EQ's ect are excellent. Sure, stand alone pedals are a little bit better...but they will cost a lot more collectively and take up more board space. For a one stop shop, it's pretty good.
  6. varunjh

varunjh

yup i think it gives you excellent value for money. Just the Amp sims alone would have made it worth the price for me. Plus it has an interface built into it which is quite decent.
  7. GMC

GMC

This is very true, the Sans amp sim is very good...and cheaper than the original unit...which is suprising!
  8. tubatodd

tubatodd Supporting Member

I was hesitant to spend $200 on another multipedal. But after owning it for a week, I can say that it was definitely a smart purchase.
  9. aquamentus

aquamentus

Yeah, what everyone else is saying.
  10. Emibass

Emibass

I´m glad that everybody is happy with it, but it´s not my case. I thought it was quite ok but after more testings and recordings I found out it´s a little bit useless FOR ME.

The final test that made me decide to sell it was bypassing it by conecting the bass directly to the interface (Tc Electronic Konnekt 48). I found out that the whole top end frequency extension was lost trough the B3, and also was noisy. The reverbs lack clarity and dimension (too 2D). The choruses seemed to be ok (but I don´t have nothing to compare it directly right now)

Now about me. I never liked multi fx and I thought this was an exception...well I guess not.

Though I must say it is a very well built unit and the 3 pedal look was what cought my eye. Well, maybe next time.
  11. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

I bought one recently and so far it's been great. No regrets.

TD
  12. raul

raul

Thanks! Just ordered one! Can't wait to make sounds!
  13. DEDX

DEDX

I bought one off here last week and love it so far. Tons of things to play with.
  14. pelado

pelado

sounds really good.
    the pc application to configure the effects is awesome.

i put only a few drops of effects on certain parts of my lines. i have a lot to choose from with a single unit that costs only 200 dollars
  15. jimfist

jimfist Supporting Member

Do you care to be more specific with your findings? At what frequency do you perceive the high end roll-off? 5khz? Higher? 10khz?

Did you use the recommended power supply or batteries when doing your critical studio listening? Did you take care to make sure there were no external or passive electrical/electronic contributors to the noise?

If you can fill us in with more specific details of your findings, I think it would be helpful.

In my experience, in the context of a live rock band, none of what you've described even matters...it all gets masked among the noise of it all. As for sub-par reverbs...yeah, that doesn't enter the picture for me, especially live. If I'm using reverbs for a serious studio recording, I'm certainly NOT going to rely on a $200 multifx pedal to provide it, that's for sure.

I think a more fair comparison of the B-3 would be amongst it's competitive peers in the under $300 price point, weighing cost vs. features vs. performance vs. roadworthiness.

The B-3 isn't the be-all-end-all, but it certainly is a great bang for the buck. Just don't expect it to outperform a Lexicon PCM 92. ;)
  16. Geni758

Geni758 Supporting Member

I guess it depends on what you want to do with it. I got one and I really like it, but the effects are the least of which I bought it for. I was most interested in the audio interface for recording and the drum patterns for practice. Now that I have it, I'm really enjoying the amp modeling as well. I set up a bunch of patches with just the amps with no effects. I am enjoying a few of the presets with effects, but I don't use many of them. If you're thinking it will replace your existing pedals you will have to get other opinions. For my needs I think it was a real bargain considering some of the other options I looked at.
  17. HugoBazZ

HugoBazZ

My B3 journey!

First i searched a lot of info on the B3. I was concerned, like many people, how good the tone, the effects and the looper was. I was afraid that i would kill my tone too much and that the effects was really tame. I was ( still am to some extent) a Single-pedal-analoge-truebypass-blah-blah-guy! i've always thought that mulit-effects were pure ****!!
    But i really wanted a looper and the B3 was in the same price class as most loopers. so i said "What the hell! " and bought the B3 when i was on vacation in NYC.
    I thought that the B3 could be used as a looper and occasional modulation.

When i got it home and started playing with it, i was really happy with the looper and the fact that i could use it as headphone amp!! I've started to practice some bass solo looping.
    then i've started to play with reverbs and modulations for a while. Then little by little, i started to feel that the B3 sucked my tone, and i didn't feel like i could set any effects that i liked :( real bummer!
    I downloaded some of the patches that you guys made and still wasn't really happy with it! started to question the b3's usability vs it's toy-factor!
    i then bought a expression pedal because people how made some of the patches i downloaded, said that they worked better with an expression pedal. AND BOY WERE THEY RIGHT!!! i started to make some really fun and cool synth sounds !! big bassy-dubby synths, wobble and aggressive synth fuzz sounds! and i quickly learned that the B3 is capable of solo much!! i started to get the effects and sounds i wanted just by taking the time and getting to learn the perimeters and how the effects interacts!! now I'm really happy with my B3!!
    now i just need to explore the ampsims ;)

So conclusion: the B3 is a great unit that can do soooo many things and the sound quality is good! it takes time but when given it really pays off!! it changed my mind towards mulit-effects! it's not gonna sound just like direct into the amp, but then again no pedal will!! just the added cable will change the tone of your bass a bit :p
  18. GMC

GMC

The thing which really bugged me about the B3 when I first got it out of the box was the huge gain difference between patches in the default load out. Some patches were really really quiet and others would nearly rip my cones out. It was quite bizarre. The B3 gets a lot more interesting when a bassist loads up their favorite pedals into the patch bays and twiddles the settings and FX order. Then it really shines.
    For me, the Sans amp sim, dual Compressor and one other FX are pretty much my std load out at the moment.
  19. Emibass

Emibass

Hey Jim, I´ll do my best to explain.

My testing setup was in my little home studio using a Tc Electronic Konnekt 48 interface and Genelec 8020 monitors + a Genelec 7050 Sub (The monitoring setup freq response goes from 25hz to 21Khz). Love this monitoring set-up

My bass is an Adamovic Saturn 5. It comes with Haussel pickups and Glockenklang 3 band preamp (bass@40hz, mid@500hz, highs@18Khz). It has a beautiful harmonic content and very up high frequency extension response, wich I looooove.

Ok, now to the B3.

The "high roll off", it´s kind of strange because it does respond up to 20Khz but IME the harmonic content desapear from 10Khz above. When I bought the B3 I tried it with my MIA Jazz and sounded very goog (the MIA Jazz don´t go that high in freq response)

I´m powering it via USB from my Macbook and have AC stabilizers (don´t know exactly how it´s called)

I´m definitly sure this is no residual noise. The noise comes and goes with the sound (like an expansor or gate). I understand that amps have noise, but not at this level (even if it´s a super vintage) unless you drive it hard (I don´t)

In the context of a rock band and with a normal fender type bass this unit rocks. But in the context of a hifi tone.....

About the reverbs, you said it all.

That´s right, if you compare the unit at its cost partenrs there´s no competition, the B3 is a winner by far.

But the real problem here is actually me. I don´t like multi fx units and thought I´d give a chance to this one. It´s a great unit (especially at its price) but I was spoiled with high end reverbs and processors units in the studios...I guess I was expecting to outperform a PCM 92 Lexicon unit :oops:
  20. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much Supporting Member

^ Probably too easy a solution, but have you set the pedal for active input?