1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Zoom H2n advice

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by sandman357, Jan 25, 2014.

1. sandman357

sandman357

Hi,
    Just got the H2n and was wondering if anyone has advice for dialing in a good recording. I am using both the MS and XY inputs an am using the general compression setting. Have the Gain set so it maxes at about 3/4 on the graphic display as it records. I tried the auto gain but did not like it. The Mic is set in the middle of the practice space and we play.

Here is a clip of the quality of the recording we get. I am not unhappy, just wondering if anyone that has experience with the H2n can offer advice on a setting to try.

https://soundcloud.com/steven-sandy/down-south-jukin-sample

We practice 1 to 2 times a month and I don't want to waste a lot of practice time fiddling with it so I try a setting and go with that until we take a break. Then try something else. I only have two recording sessions with it so far.

Thanks for any advice. While I am waiting for replies I am going to read up on low pass and high pass filters to figure out what the heck those do :)

2. Steve

Steve

Set the H2 up flat and accurate. Do all the tweaks in outboard software.

DO NOT clip the mics. It sounds horrible and can not be removed. It's a total track killer. Set the gain low. You can boost it 20db's in post and it won't hiss.

Mic Placement: Find the spot in the room that just "sounds good". It's there and it may not be where you think it is. Finding that spot will do more for the sound of your recordings than anything else but practice.

Which brings me to:

Be good. Dookie in - Dookie out.

3. ZenG

ZenG

I have one of those........

IMO I wouldn't "over-tweak" too much

The placement of these rigs in a room or in relation to sound source is CRITICAL......

I didn't want to....but I had to fool around with mine for placement quite a bit before I dialed in.......

Room acoustics/instrument levels affect it bigtime.......

You can get really good recordings if you just dial it in......

I don't bother with adjusting filters/clipping and all that stuff........"if it ain't broke , don't fix it" is my motto.....