1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Zoom H2n or H4n as USB interface?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by DrVenkman, Oct 8, 2013.

1. DrVenkman

DrVenkman

I like the idea of having a simple recorder to capture rehearsals or performances, and a USB interface for more formal recording work. Will either of these devices work well in this dual role? Do you have other tecommendations?

2. EricssonB

EricssonB

Oh, sure. Yeah why not.

3. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

4. longfinger

longfinger

I have a Zoom H2, and it will work as interface for stereo recording into a DAW, however, there is simply way too much latency in the unit to make it usable to sync with a click and do multi-tracks. Too much time will be wasted trying to nudge tracks into sync. I'd go for another interface with lower latency. Maybe the H2n is different... maybe not.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DrVenkman

DrVenkman

Huh. I always thought latency was a computer issue, didn't realize it could be an interface issue too. Does anyone have experience with the Hxn vs. just the Hx versions of these?

7. INTP

INTP

I have a H4n and it works find as an audio interface.

To avoid latency the H4n allows you to turn on monitoring in the hardware, so you can hear what you're playing with essentially no latency (headphones plugged directly into H4n. You always want to monitor from the hardware like this, regardless of interface, to avoid the annoying delay you get if you monitor via the round trip in/out of the computer.

The method for adjusting precisely for latency in Reaper is covered here:
    http://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/How_to_Compensate_for_Interface_Latency
    Basically, you set this once and forget about it. Once you set it, anything you record will automatically be offset by the latency amount so everything aligns auto-magically.

The H4n is perfectly acceptable for home recording projects. The pre-amps a bit noisy with the highest gain settings, but I only notice this with some microphones. For guitar or bass, they are fine.