zoom h4n weird input problem

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by groooooove, Dec 20, 2013.

1. groooooove

groooooove

i was using the recorder last night, and it was working fine.

today i went to plug in a 1/4" cable and it's not working unless i push the cable in and hold it there. this happens with both of the inputs. i tried a new cable (again, both inputs) and nothing- i only get a signal when i'm pushing the cable in. i've have that happen with other gear where if i wrapped the cable around something/a certain way you can get a signal, but this needs more pressure than that.

any idea 1. why this is happening 2. why it didn't happen last night? all the same gear from yesterday to today.

only thing i can think of is the inputs may be dirty. but why both, and why all of a sudden?

thanks guys,

T

2. groooooove

groooooove

just tried the XLR inputs. same problem, both inputs.

anyone have a clue?

t

3. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's

The fact that it is BOTH connectors It makes me think that there is some intermittent inside, on the PCB. When you push the jack, it causes the board to move a tiny bit and make the contact. It could be a broken trace, or a component or connector that has come loose. Has it been dropped or banged around lately?

Good luck with this.

4. groooooove

groooooove

it's been dropped and things like that, but not in a long time. been using it the last few days, no drops / bangs recently, and it just started getting funny.

is this something i could even get fixed for less than the recorder is worth?

5. Register to disable this ad