Zoom MS-50G MultiStomp

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Darknut, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Darknut

Darknut Supporting Member

The Zoom MS-50G MultiStomp was delivered here at work today.
    I just happened to have a bass & amp here in my office :)

I didn't get to mess with it much but my first impressions are good. Nice metal case with some weight to it.

I was able to figure out the menu system without looking at the book as its pretty obvious. (mostly)

After a quick run thru of the built in presets I think the MS-50G going to work great for my main needs .... modulation effects, reverb & delay mostly.

The pitch related stuff seams to track pretty dang good especially considering this is a guitar pedal.

As I said, great first impression & I plan on giving it a thorough shake down & making a tube vid ... stay tuned

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BgSbgEnjgA
  2. caeman

caeman The Root Master Supporting Member

Because it was meant for guitar, do you perceive any loss of low end?
  3. Darknut

Hard to tell for sure on this little practice amp here at work ... doesn't seem like it & it does have Para & multi band EQ that you can add to every patch if needed.

I suspect the only difference between this one & the Bass one will be the preamp/amp models & maybe a different compressor model

Which is a non factor for me as I won't use it for that anyway
  4. caeman

The product interested me from the first time I read it. In one Boss-sized pedal is every normal modulation plus a few extra tricks for people that don't want to buy a full-time phaser or flanger, etc.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Darknut

Yep .... my pedal may get a lot smaller
  7. caeman

In one of the demos, they showed an example where one of the effect chains had a line selector effect, so inside the 5-pedal chain, you had a sub-chain. THAT was cool of them to consider.
  8. Darknut

OK I messed with the MS-50G a bit more last night.
    Here what I think so far .....

The amp/cab models are lame for bass IMHO ... no big surprise it is for guitar after all.

The dirt/overdrive stuff is OK but not great. Definitely effects the low end ... some more than others ... if you add EQ to the patch & use a wet/dry blend (LS-2) it's def usable though.

The RAT simulation sounds "RATTY' enough until you turn on a real RAT (or good RAT clone like I have) then its like ... not on the same planet! .... No surprise again

All the reverbs & delays sound good & having the Para EQ available to add to the patch lets you tweak to perfection.

The Chorus/Flanger/Phaser models are all good as well ... they effect the low end a little but not much & the EQ is always available.

The Octave tracks surprisingly well on bass very OC-2ish. ( nmodded OC-2) Not as good as a Micro POG though. (but what is)

The pitch shift stuff is weakest thing on the MS-50G IMHO.
    It tracks well enough but just sounds a little too wonky to my ears.

Would prob be fine live in the mix with drums to tune up or down a 1/2 step ..... def no latency issues detected.

Haven't checked the compressor models or filter type effects yet.

My overall impression is the MS-50G is worth ever penny for the reverbs & delays alone
    Every bit as high quality as a Boss GT-10 better with somethings IMHO.

I still plan to do a tube vid with my setup ... maybe tonight if I get home in time. :)
  9. steelbed45

steelbed45 TRemington

The website said it offered up to six pedals in combination - were you able to dial that up?
    I love my B3, but the size of that pedal + the $99 price point is tempting. I would not be using any of the amp mods as it were.
  10. Darknut

Yes & no .... a few thing eat enough of the DSP that you can get it where it won't do 6 at once .... but mostly yes.

The only thing I see that might not be optimum is if you were going to try to use it like a B3/GT10 main effect instead of just another stomp like I am ..... its a little clunky changing patches if you needed to change patches a lot ... unless I'm missing something which is possible since I just got it yesterday. :)
  11. steelbed45

steelbed45 TRemington

Great, thanks for your review and analysis, Dark :)
  12. caeman

Have you had a chance to test the stereo out? Are all of the modulation effect stereo capable?
  13. Darknut

Have not test anything stereo .... got home late ... didn't mess with it much .... just made sure my Pboard was gig ready.

Got a christmas party gig tonight ... 1st use live

1 negative thing I realized ... if you have multiple effects in a patch the stomp button only turns off the effect showing on the screen .. not the whole patch! I have mine thru a looper so its not a big deal but this seem rather stupid of Zoom to make it this way.

Also there is no way to switch modes totally with your foot in a live situation .... I have an idea for a small mod that will make it where you can but again it seem odd that they would make it not "live" gig friendly .... I still think its worth the money but it needs to be view as a stomp not a multi-effect IMHO
  14. Darknut

Added Video

One cool thing I found you can do ... you can stack 2 band Parametric EQ's so you can basically have a 2 to 12 band EQ
  15. Darknut

Now that I've had this a while I must say I like it more & more.
    I use it for Reverb & delay but recently I dumped my Boss CEB-3 chorus in favor of one of the Chorus models on the 50G ... it just simply sounds better!
    I'm using one of the filter models as well for some funky stuff ... Amazing pedal for the money!

PS:I did a simple physical mod (non permanent) that makes the 50G infinitely easier to use at a live gig. (picture later)
  16. chrispitoyo

chrispitoyo

Hello all,

I'm a new member to this forum..so cheers :)

Yesterday I stopped by a local music store (Portland, OR) and they had a used MS-50G for $50 (pristine condition)..I'm thinking to go back and get it. My question: is there a way to somehow "format" the software / firmware and install the MS-60B firmware in it??
  17. hardrubbish

hardrubbish

So, what was this mod you did?
    I have a couple on my board and understand that they can be a bit fiddly in a live setting.
  18. Darknut

Holy Crap! .. I totally forgot about posting a picture ... sorry.

All I did was cut a piece of tubing and stuck it on the middle of the 3 adjustment knobs.

This makes it way easier to change modes with your foot.

Attached Files:

19. hardrubbish

hardrubbish

Ah right!
    What mode are you switching with that?

If it's switching between patches you can jump between patches if you set each one up with a letter A-Z and switch with the footswitch while in patch list view, rather than effects view within the patch.

Or are you altering effects parameters with it?
    You could try one of these...
    [​IMG]

Or is it something else I've overlooked?
  20. Darknut

That wont work because you have to push down as well as turn the knob.

That center knob changes the mode (cycle between patches or Turn the effect that is selected on or off )
  21. hardrubbish

hardrubbish

Ahhh, got you!
    Yeah, that's a great idea.