1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Zoom MS-60B vs B3 advantages

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by M4verick, Dec 30, 2013.

1. M4verick

M4verick

I need to decide which of the two effects buy and each of them speaks to me from a different perspective.

I love the compact size of MS60B but how easy is to operate the effects on the fly with only 1 screen ?

Does the MS60B lack any significant effect from the B3 model ? Is the effect quality better in any of those models ?

Are there any other disadvantages or problems related to the smaller zoom, which should I know of ?

At the moment I'm leaning toward the MS-60B, as it fits my pedalboard better and I dont care too much about drum machine, the only thing that hold's me back is that B3 seems easier to operate with separate LCDs and has twice the effects.

2. liveburning274

liveburning274

You do have fewer amps and effects on the MS-60b, but I personally love mine. If you're not a knob twiddler on stage, IMO, it is a great pedal. Once you're in stomp mode you can easily scroll through your preset patch list. It is really simple and great to use.

3. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I love my 60b also the sounds really are nice.

4. DagoMaino

DagoMaino Supporting Member

I have both... MS60B fits perfect on my small board and is a great catch-all for trying ideas without having my big board in a band setting. B3 features that keep it relevant: it could be me but I feel like it processes with a bit more headroom, better pitch effects, computer interface for trying effects chains is really nice, expression control and the ability to turn on each effect on the fly.

I just bought a CDR too... These Zoom boxes are really effective at covering a lot of ground. Best values in pedal-land IMO. There so cost effective that I don't mind having them all just to lie-in-wait at different points in my effects chain and for the little bit that they do better/differently. I would never give up my analog dirt, but these are all great for modulation and digital effects!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

If you want to have a ton of effects available to stomp on and off, the B3 is better for that. The 60b is better at crafting patches (up to 4 effects chained together) beforehand that you can call up from one spot on your pedalboard in a live setting.

7. khutch

khutch Praise Harp Supporting Member

Look through the effects lists for the two. The MS60 is missing some, maybe one that is critical to you. Also the B3 lets you manage and save patches on your computer, the MS60 doesn't, so far. Maybe with a future SW update. I do love my MS60 though. It is a lot of bang for the buck in a small package!

8. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

That is a plus.. The B3 has everything that the MS60B has as far as effects and models go and more.. (58 for the MS-60B, 111 for the B3) .. the B3 is easier to operate.. but if you already have a pedal board the MS-60B might be better for you .. If you use a pedal tuner you can sell it and use the one in the B3. it's pretty good.. that's two slots and I am certain that between the choruses, flangers and compressors you can find one to fill the other slot..

9. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Both have pros and cons IMO... at the moment*

MS-60B has fewer effect but let you have 4 at once, whereas the B3 only let's you use 3 at once.

The B3 is easier to use live, to change patches and kick individual effects in and out at will. Whereas you need to bend down and manually change the mode of the MS-60b to switch between patch and stomp box mode. It's also awkward to switch between two patches mid song with the MS, as it only cycles, not up and down.

I see my MS as somewhat a 'utility' pedal. Handy for always on effects such as compression, eq etc, or rarely used single effect. For example, I only use fuzz once in a whole gig. The B3 is much more suited IMO to someone who needs to switch between a number of effects or patches during a gig.

*The G3 guitar version has had a firmware update to allow up to 6 effects at once. I'm hoping the B3 might see a similar update. Likewise, the MS-60G had a firmware update that added lots of new effects and I hope they implement a similar update to the bass version.

This will make both units more competent and compliment each other nicely. If both units have more or less the same effects on board and let you use more than 3 at once, the only choice is what size unit you want and how you want to use it.