1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Zoom UF-01

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by CHILDISHGAMBINO, Dec 16, 2012.

1. CHILDISHGAMBINO

CHILDISHGAMBINO

Does anybody have one? Or experience with on. Seems like a neat pedal. There's one available here for 75 bucks but I haven't had a chance to try it out. Are they bass friendly?
  2. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Buy it, awesome fuzz, very industrial but has some cool features like self oscillation

Well worth the money analog and true bypass :D
  3. CHILDISHGAMBINO

CHILDISHGAMBINO

I probably will. I'm torn between buying or a soundblox BEF(non-pro). I know they're completely different but I already have 3 fuzzes and I'm using the a Zoom B3 for filters. So I don't know what I want more. More fuzz or more filter??? I guess the UF-01 is discontinued and I always grab a BEF. Still torn.
  4. CHILDISHGAMBINO

CHILDISHGAMBINO

Yep I think I'll just grab it. I can get a BEF anytime. I haven't seen any other UF-01s around. Hopefully it's still there.
  5. Bob C

Bob C

It's a revered pedal on Talkbass. I've seen them start at around $70 on eBay, and they usually sell for more - like $100 or $125. So, I think you've found a winner.
  6. gastric

gastric Professional product tester for hire Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Source Audio BETA tester
    I've owned one a couple of different times. Though it's a gated fuzz pedal and well made I never personally found the tone to be to my liking. Note the reso will only function if you drive it with a passive instrument and with no buffered pedals in front.

I have a few different sound clips on my page here, you'll have to seach for "zoom" to locate them as I apparently didn't reference the product name correctly and consistently. http://cgraham.com/chris/music/sound_clips.htm

Re-listening to the clips the one where I ran it into my EHX Muff'n sounded pretty awesome, but more distortion than fuzz. So maybe the pedal smooths out when run into a tube amp VS solid-state or an amp sim?

For synthy gated fuzz there's definitely better pedals. For just general fuzz with some gate or the oscillation it'd seem like a good buy, particularly if you can get one for under $100. Back in they day they were grossly overpriced.
  7. CHILDISHGAMBINO

CHILDISHGAMBINO

I'm not really for looking synthy. I've got an orbit, bluebox and the B3 for that. If it gets some interesting sounds I can't get with those pedals it will be worth it. The store I found it in always has a few weird pedals you don't see around much. Good to know about the reso knob. I don't have an active bass but a run a lot of pedals and 4 or 5 of em' are buffered bypass. Decisions, decisions...
  8. gastric

Disclosures:
    Source Audio BETA tester
    I'm not sure what significant additional fun the Zoom will provide over your other stuff, but I'm certainly not trying to talk you out of buying it. :)
  9. CHILDISHGAMBINO

CHILDISHGAMBINO

I bought it. We shall see. Thanks for the info. I have to feed my son and then I'll make some noises. Never hurts to have another fuzz. :)
  10. gastric

Disclosures:
    Source Audio BETA tester
    It's been almost 24 hours. What's your verdict? :)
  11. CHILDISHGAMBINO

CHILDISHGAMBINO

Zombie response - I really like it. You can dial in a lot of sounds with it from OD to *** was that? Definitely well worth the 75 bucks I paid for it. I don't think I'll ever get rid of it that's for sure. I like running it with a fairly gated setting with the reso knob cranked up pretty high into detune mode on the Boss PS-6 or the detune on the B3. If anyone is thinking about trying one it is a fun pedal and retains low end very well.
  12. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I got another again recently and they are a lot of fun, my guitarist said it was the best fuzz he'd heard me use but to me in the mix (with the current settings) it disappeared which is a bit annoying. But still fun and if you're collecting fuzz's then it's defo worth a spot in a collection.
  13. CHILDISHGAMBINO

CHILDISHGAMBINO

I mostly play with just a drummer or a keys/controller/drum machine guy so my experiences with how things sound in mix are little different than most I think. Doesn't get lost with those dudes but I could see how it might get lost with some guitars in there. You could always turn it up. :)