1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Zoom vs. Tascam 2-Track self contained SD recorders

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Jim C, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

Ned to eb able to record rehearsals with quality and ease of use.
    Using 2 PZM's with mic press, compressors, and CD burner is just OK as thee is no optimal flat surface place to set miss.
    No need for overdubs.

What do you recommend for good quality 2-track live recorders that are really easy to use?
    Do I need more than a box with X-Y mixing on a stand?
  2. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Zoom h4 did it for me... I used a heavey duty Bogen photog tripod. USB pr memory card reader to laptop for burning or dropbox/soundcloud.
  3. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I use a Zoom H4n, it works great for what you're looking to do. It does more than 2 tracks though. If you want to spend less money the H2n is supposed to be very good as well.

I'll mount it on a mic stand, put it on a chair, and I have put it on a bench seat at a restaurant. It's always worked great.

I do wish they had a wireless remote though...
  4. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Zoom H2n ... simple, works great in many environments, great features. It's my personal favorite. I had the H2 before, too.
  5. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

Thanks,
    I've just read the entire Zoom catalog and briefly checked pricing on Ebay.
    H1 is under $100
    Looks like the H2N has more features (mid side microphones correctly called Miedesiden miking technique) and much cheaper than the original H2
    Then there are the video units with x/y miking only.
    The specs stand up but wonder if the video box has audio that is as good; you can turn the video off to save storage and increase battery life?

Any Zoom video advice?
  6. jasmangan

jasmangan

No video advice but +1 to the h4. I
  7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    My Zoom H2 worked great for me. I liked recording in 4 channel (front & back stereo) mode. That way, I didn't miss anything. I got some great recordings.

This was done with my H2 in 2 channel mode.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014 at 4:08 AM
  8. ghostfather

ghostfather

I got a ZOOM H1 and I can't be happier. I use it to record band rehearsals and to record solo acoustic guitar stuff - great in both applications. Dead easy to use.