Zvex effects pedals good or bad

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Sethakamoe, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Sethakamoe

Sethakamoe

So I have been looking in to buying a wah probe vexter Or a wolly mammoth. What do you you guys think of these pedals and how do they sound on bass.

2. rratajski

rratajski

Disclosures:
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    I say this with no snark or ill will...have you searched the forum?

3. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story Supporting Member

From what I've seen only a handful of Z.Vex pedals (Wooly Mammoth and Mastotron) work well on bass. I also remember hearing the WM isn't the biggest fan of active electronics.

[del]Do a search on both pedals and I'm sure you'll find all the info you need.[/del] What Ryan said.

4. Sethakamoe

Sethakamoe

I did not search the fours I want to know what people think right now. I have looked up the pedals and have done a good amount of research. just was wondering what other tber's opinions were on it, so has anyone used the vexter wah probe on bass.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Sethakamoe

Sethakamoe

7. JBNeedsBeer

JBNeedsBeer

Used the wah probe on bass, didn't like it at all. The Mammoth is not worth anywhere near what they charge for it. There are dozens of clones out there for far cheaper and there are many better sounding gated fuzzes available to try.

Search the forum. The timing of the posts only indicates the timing of the discussion. The sound quality on pedals doesn't change over time, only their hype changes over time.

8. Kano2864212

Kano2864212

I have used the Wah Probe on bass and the sweep isn't tuned for bass at all so the effect is very subtle and almost unnoticeable without fuzz.

9. icecycle66

icecycle66

I've never messed with any of the Probe stuff

I do really like the Wooly Mammoth, and most other Zvex distortions and fuzzes.
    However, I think they are too expensive new for what you get. You can usually negotiate good deals in the Classifieds here for used stuff.

Or you can find someone to build a clone. If you do that, have them add a clean/dirty blend control. A Mammoth clone with a blend control is probably my favorite dirt box right now.

Also, are you playing an active or passive bass?
    It makes a huge difference with at least most Zvex stuff.
    Playing a mammoth with a passive bass, then switching to an active is almost like using two different effect pedals.
    (I see you are mainly a drummer, so if your bass has a battery in it; just call it an active bass.)

I like both active and passive going through Zvex, but some people are let down when the first get their $300 pedal and it sounds like a glitch fuzz because the demos they saw were using passive basses and they have an active bass.

10. Unfinely Tuned

Unfinely Tuned

Disclosures:
    Auto Racing, Fishing, concerts, cigar box guitars
    I own the Basstortion pedal and am impressed with the tone. I use it solo with a Streamliner 900 and 2 Berg 12's to add some grit. It can get very heavy and saturated if you want and offers a light and dark switch which can get you darker SVT type tones when engaged.

I bought a Pigtronix Bass Fat Drive and was not impressed with the medium gain tone and swapped it at the store for the Zyvex and haven't looked back. I play a G&L L2000 and it thumps hard with the tubes in the Genz Benz.

There are many threads about this pedal here on TB, and I bought it after I demoed it into an Aguilar TH500 and DB410 without reading TB reviews because I liked it better than my Fulltone OCD which I also own.

Here is a good writeup I found after I bought mine.
    http://www.bestguitareffects.com/zvex-basstortion-review-best-bass-distortion-pedal/

11. Vlad5

Vlad5 Chronic Knob Twiddling Tone Chaser Supporting Member

I liked the Mastotron for both bass and treble.

It's a lower priced Mammoth alternative.

12. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

No experience with the wah or the wooly, but I cannot give enough love to my DISTORTRON.

I've owned the pedal for many years now, and it has beaten any other overdrive pedal hands down, and stayed consistently on my working board. Construction is top notch (in my experience) and the sound is great. Only down side is the short/wide pedal construction as it takes a little bit more board layout planning.

13. IncX

IncX

i currently have a instant lo-fi junky on my board and a basstortion.

awesome pedals!

the basstortion kinda reminds me of a fuzzrocious dark driving. the instant lo-fi junky is a pumping-chorus type of pedal. really great for slow arpeggios