1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

ZVex Instant LoFi Junky

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by spoonfulofshred, Jan 28, 2014.

1. spoonfulofshred

spoonfulofshred

Does anybody have any more info on this for bass?

I like what I've seen on youtube but they're all guitar demos. I've searched and seems people like it but I haven't found anything more in depth that "it's great, I love it."

Anybody have more a more detailed review?
  2. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

I've vascillated for years about adding the looping version of that pedal, just can't quite convince myself to pull the trigger.

But the entire Raison d'être for a non-looping version just strikes me as a bit too...er, precious. Like, do we really need to add a dedicated pedal to our signal path just to make us sound crappy? You can approximate lo-fidelity with some compression, distortion, and equalization...but then you can also use compression, distortion, and equalization to achieve hi-fi sounds. And from 20 feet away in the middle of a song I'm not convinced any listener can really appreciate the specific type of lo-fidelity that the zVex offers that would differentiate it from the aforementioned approximation.
  3. bludog

bludog Supporting Member

I have one and don't really like it on bass. Zvex makes great pedals and it's definitely cool and interesting, but just don't have a practical use for it. That said, on guitar and keyboards it's a pretty cool little pedal. I'd say it's great to have in the effects locker of a studio for those few moments you might need/want it. But would not suggest it as a permanent fixture on your bass pedal board. Bear in mind, this is just my personal taste. It functions fine on bass. Perhaps too little definition behind the note for me and my needs but if that's no an issue for you then give it a go.
  4. spoonfulofshred

spoonfulofshred

Roscoe - Do we really need any pedal? Can the average listener appreciate the difference in any pedal? The majority of people are not musicians and wouldn't know the difference between a wah pedal and a tuner.

Bludog - Is it that you just don't like it as just a matter of personal taste? Is there any loss of low end? How would it sound in the mix in a live setting?
  5. GuzBaas

GuzBaas

I have the same opinion as my pal Bludog... is useless on bass... the tone roll off (which is one of the best things about the pedal) is useless and you can't notice the "lofi"... the pedal is reduced to a 25% or less of its functionality on bass.

I really liked the pedal, but I sold it based on the reasoning above...

For 200-300 dollars.. you can get 2 or even 3 ditto loopers with more looping time, and a LOT more functionality than the Zvex.

Again ... the Zvex Looper is a great little pedal that was built with guitar/keyboard on mind.
  6. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

"Need" is a tricky concept when talking about musical equipment; once you get past the basic human survival needs, everything else is to some degree a luxury. We don't "need" a bass, much less an effects pedal. But once you've determined that you're going to be a working bassist, then you definitely need a bass. Now raise that threshold just a bit, narrow the parameters: Once you've determined that you're going to be a working bassist who uses a wide palette of timbres & textures, then you definitely need an effects pedal. It's only a matter of refining your search parameters and adjusting the associated threshold before you can claim that you "need", say, a fuzzbox, but that you don't "need" an Instant LoFi Junky.

My Dad -- who is admittedly tone-deaf, can't carry a tune in a bucket -- can easily tell the difference between any kind of fuzz/distortion/overdrive, and clean. So there's one data point. Pretty sure it wouldn't be too hard to find other data points where Average Listeners (sic) could identify a phase shifter, or a filter, or a ring modulator, etc. They may not know what the effect is by name, or even be able to correctly discern what's actually happening to the signal, but they can certainly identify that something has been changed texturally, and that that something correlates to the use of a particular stompbox.

You underestimate people...not the least because a tuner doesn't do anything to the sound of the instrument (other than mute it, presumably) while the wah pedal does something that not only can often be sonically overt, but also (more importantly) does something that is idiosyncratic, iconic, and historically/culturally relevant. Again, a non-musician may not be able to say "Oh, that's a wah-wah pedal I'm hearing!" but I think you'd be surprised at how many non-musicians could say "Oh, that's that same sound they used on Theme From Shaft, White Room, Voodoo Child, Papa Was A Rolling Stone, etc."

Your statement would reek of slightly less hyperbole if you'd said the majority of people "wouldn't know the difference between a phase shifter and a flanger"...though if you'd said that you wouldn't need to qualify the statement by restricting it to non-musicians.
  7. FilterFunk

FilterFunk

People notice a clear difference when a wah is being used, even when they don't know how the sound is being made. If you disapprove of effects, that's cool (although not so cool in the EFFECTS forum), but even non-musicians can hear the difference between affected and unaffected tones.
  8. spoonfulofshred

spoonfulofshred

Ah, drunk posting. My biggest weakness. I think I'm so funny. Somebody really needs to get on this inventing a "sarcasm font" and clearly, a "too much wine font."

I know there's no "need" for pedals. They're just fun and I like your word 'luxury.' Also, next time I'm aiming for hyperbole, I'll go with "they don't know the difference between a delay pedal and their own elbow." And not the "average listener" that would be at one of our shows, but the average Top-40 enjoying/club going crowd.

Back to the original intent of the thread, I'd stumbled across this interesting sounding pedal. I'm lucky enough to play in a band where unique sounds are more than welcome. But I take it, it's kinda meh on bass? It's $200, maybe I'll keep looking for something to quench my GAS for now.