ZZ Top - Gimme all your lovin

Discussion in 'Tablature [BG]' started by Liv3rman, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Liv3rman

Liv3rman

Our covers band have recently added this song to our live set, and anyone that has played it on bass will know it's quite dull for us bassist, mainly just hammering away on a C on the A string for the most part. I usually have no problem adding a bit of flair to dull basslines, but I just can't figure out anything to add to it while maintaining the groove.

Anyone else play this, and have any ideas on runs/phrases to add?
  2. obimark

obimark

I stick pretty close to the recorded part but I play the opening walkup (da na na) every time, rather than just the first time like the record, also I add in some octaves here and there.
    IME, you can try to UPGRADE the TOP basslines, but most of the time, what he played on record works best for the overall song...
  3. jaywa

jaywa

There's nothing wrong with sticking to the recorded part, either.

In one of my bands we play "Sharp Dressed Man" which is equally boring on bass but I just settle in on those 8th note roots and use it as a chance to check out all the hotties on the dance floor.

To be honest, it always kind of bugs me when I go out to see a cover band and the bass player is making his/her part a lot busier than it was originally recorded or the song requires. Especially if the groove is suffering because of it. I can't think of many if any bass fills that would really add to "Gimme All Your Loving" but if that's your thing (or if your guitarist can't cop Billy Gibbons' feel and you have to make up for that), then go for it.
  4. Koog

Koog Supporting Member

It was recorded that way for a reason....and it sold....and it's still popular enough your band is covering it....nuff said.

Koog
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jaywa

jaywa

BTW if your band is playing that song and nobody's dancing... someone in the band is doing something really wrong.

;)
  7. obimark

obimark

To me that is the fun of playing in a cover band, just subtly adding things in, not always, but here and there... AGREE 100% change the ZZ around too much and it just doesn't work.

We do "Thank YOu" by them as well, and to be honest, the recorded part is just perfect for the song, I add a couple of slides here and there but not too much.
  8. Liv3rman

Liv3rman

Yeah that's what I mean. It's nice to add little runs here and there to make the song 'your own' if you like.
    I think I'll leave Gimme as Dusty intended it. :)
  9. BayStateBass

BayStateBass

Well, with that song a well placed run during the verses fits nice.....subtle and works good, and very easy to do. When the singer ends his sentence try going C- G(on the E string)- A- B and back to C. Very bluesy.

Try it out, you'll see where it fits once you do it.

This type of thing works pretty well in most any ZZ Top tune. It's my way to throw my own little thing in.
  10. obimark

obimark

Yeah, box shape licks are VERY crucial to playing bass cover tunes. That combined with little walk ups and slides will get you a long way towards putting your own spin on things.
  11. Biggbass

Biggbass Supporting Member

Most ZZ bass parts are that way. Embrace it.