From TalkBass Wiki
My project is a fEARful 15/6/1. I am using a flat pack from speakerhardware.com. Plans are for a custom orange duratex finish with a white baffle and grill. I am also using crossover parts from speakerhardware. I hope that these pics can add to the fEARful knowledge base and give future potential builders a view of the process.
For more info on fEARful cabs visit the fEARful forum at http://greenboy.us/forum/
The Completed cab and the process below.
Updated pic showing new rig.
Here is the flat pack after opening.
I heeded the advice of others and did a dry fit of the components checking for fit.
I drilled holes for mounting the drivers and pressed the tee nuts in with a c-clamp. I didn't get any pics of this process.
Next I painted the port and baffle with a first coat of white spray paint. I will finish painting the baffle after it is glued up and in place.
I started gluing and clamping beginning with the port divider, shelf, then the baffle and sides.
I actually went ahead and completed the crossover boards since I could do them at work on my lunch break in the engineering shop.
Completed High and Low boards:
All three boards complete:
I received my custom color Duratex. I am a huge Tennessee Vols fan so I went with Tennessee orange and I will paint the baffle white.
Got a little more done over the weekend. Clamped the back braces on.
I also got the mid box glued and clamped in.
A few pics of the back being glued on. Had to use lots of clamps to make sure it stayed straight. There was a slight bit of back bow in the back panel.
Top is now glued in place.
I also used some 1/4" ply and covered the handle openings to ensure a good seal. They are PLed in place and they will also give the handle screws a bit more to grab on to.
I assembled the jackplate and put silicone around the parts to seal any possible air leaks.
Here is the box with the build phase complete. It is now ready for the edges to be rounded over and the rough spots to be smoothed with filler and sanding.
I put some labels on my jack plate last night. Simple Brother P-Touch labels. They look better in person.
The grill is now painted. I used RustOleum Enamel in Gloss White.
The first coat of Duratex is on and it is looking pretty good. I wish I had sanded a little better. Oh well.
In this pic you can see the rough patches on the side from the Bondo filler. This was my first time working with Bondo and I didn't realize how fast the stuff sets. I started on that side and got too much on. If I had it to do over again I would have used less to smooth the small lip at the edge. With a couple more thick coats of duratex and the hardware on it will not be as noticeable.
I put a total of three coats of Duratex on the cab.
Taped and painted around the port to clean up the line.
I started installing handles and corners.
Here are the feet.
All the hardware is installed.
Here is the grill sitting in position to give a general idea of the look of the cab.
First layer of batting material is installed and started wiring. I will add another think layer of batting on top of this.
The crossovers are installed on the port shelf and wired up with 14 gauge speaker wire.
The second layer of batting is installed. This brings the total to a little over 2 inches of quilt batting for the damping material. I used spray adhesive to hold the batting in place.
Here is the wiring ready for the control panel.
Here is the box ready for drivers. The batting is installed and the mid box is stuffed.
I have the drivers loaded in the box and ready to go.
Here is the completed control panel.
First test. Man, was this thing loud! The whole garage was rattling. It was begging for more power than my little Shuttle could give. It sounds a bit harsh with music in the high mids, but it sounded great with the bass, which is what I am going for anyway.
Here are some pics of the completed cab with grill. I painted the grill stand-offs white to match. I think it turned out well.
It makes my Translucent Orange Ray 5 look very red.
And there you have it. A killer cab and the pride of knowing you built it. I love it!
Thanks Greenboy for the design, as well as the others who contributed to the final design. Also, thanks to the guys in the Fearful forum for clearing the path for us later builders. Thanks to TBer Mikeddd for his help and inspiration from his detailed build thread. Great info there!
Learn more at http://greenboy.us/forum/