- Last Activity:
- Feb 23, 2017 at 8:40 AM
- Apr 3, 2009
- Likes Received:
- Trophy Points:
Male, from Kent Lakes, New York via Fort Wayne, Indiana
- BassHappy was last seen:
- Viewing thread hand size ,do i need a shorter one ?, Feb 23, 2017 at 8:40 AM
- August 11
- Home Page:
- Musician, Web Designer and Music Biz Manager
- Current Setup:
- 19 mostly custom basses - 18 medium scalers and 11 are Fenders and Fender replicas - with one Rob Allen Mouse shortie. New Fender Performer along with a Fender P and J chambered body recently added. Also a Gibson Les Paul bass replica in the works and I have designed and I am currently finishing up five of my own prototypes bass designs. I have a Viola bass I designed and had built for me featuring a Line 6 Variax electronics transplant. Custom oak bass storage cabinet - made by an Amish craftsman - which holds 16 basses with sliding glass doors. Roland V Bass, Mac based DAW with Logic and Pro Tools. Studio: Aguilar db680 preamp with a Summit audio tube limiter. Live: Eden Metro 2 X10 combo. And no, except for an occasional pinch of chorus, I don't use any effects on my basses.
- Favorite Genres:
- Cut my teeth on eccentric mostly euro progressive rock - some american fusion. Now i enjoy most forms of music as long as the players and singers have taken the time to woodshed and develop their craft. Not a big fan of opera and country - the rest I dabble in judiciously as a listener.
- Gigs and Ensembles:
- Happy the Man, Vision
- Previously Owned Gear:
- Kay "Old Kraftsman" shortie, Kalamazoo "Mustang-style" shortie, Gibson EB-0 shortie, 1972 Fender Jazz Bass, 1975 MapleGlo Rickenbacker 4001, 1977 PRS #7 and 1978 #11 medium scaler. A variety of mostly Fender Bassman amps, a Hiwatt 100 stack with two 4X12" bass cabinets. Toured with a custom rig designed by JT of the "Rush" crew - with 18" CerwinVega folded horn cab with Bose 901 top end - and Yamaha power amps, custom cross-over by JT and a DBX 163X limiter. Later I got an overkill Carvin rack rig with two Carvin 2X10" cabinets which I got tired of hauling around. Also used two Yamaha powered PA Cabinets for a time with a DBX limiter. When the bass sounds great, not a big deal what you play through - it's just a stage monitor. Ended up loving my vintage Eden Metro which I still use on tour. If and when we go out again, I will swap it for a couple of Eden 2 X 10 floor monitors and be done with it.
- G.A.S. List:
- Gibson LP hollow body Florentine in Medium Scale - currently being custom built for me but it has been on hold. Taking what I have learned from all these basses and prototyping 5 of my own bass designs, coming soon.
- Influences and Teachers:
Gentle Giant, King Crimson, Gabriel Genesis, Yes, Emerson Lake and Palmer, Jethro Tull, Brand X, Ekseption, Touch, Dregs and Mahavishnu Orchestra - to name a few....
Most influential bass players for me early on: Paul McCartney, Chris Squire, John Wetton, Greg Lake.
It's all here:
- Hobbies and Interests:
- Designing and building basses, classic 1950's style hot rods and rat rods, Hoosier Basketball, Colts Football, travel, reading, writing and figuring out easier ways of doing things.
My Bass Journey...
Signature"The bass has a weight and heft to it that feels like a weapon, yet there is a quiet beauty to it as well."
My bass playing starts here: http://www.everythinghappytheman.com/music.html