When I first got this amp, I set the EQ to flat, plugged in, powered up, gave a bit of volume and...
I did not expect that sound from something smaller than my Ampeg SVT/610 stack... heck, smaller than my Fender Rumble 500/ 410 stack! I found that, without my preamp or any of my effects on, it has a really nice range of tones that you can find. With all the EQ at max, you can almost feel the engine straining against the brakes as it gets ready to kick into overdrive!
Then, I engaged the on-board Scrambler OD circuit and slowly started to bring up the drive at a 50/50 blend. Oh my. What a sweet sound! Such a transparent and ballsy OD that, with the built in blend, overcomes the tendency of OD's to strip out the lows and low mids. I'd never given the Scrambler OD pedal a second thought. I have since added one to my pedalboard to play through my tube head!
Once I engaged my pre-amp and started cycling through my pedals to hear how the amp would handle them, I realized that this wasn't some little joke of a practice amp, this amp is very viable to gig with. The wedge shape allows it to serve as your own monitor and the DI out to FOH is no different than how I run my Ampeg or Fender stacks now. I likely won't use this amp alone on stage but will definitely use it as a nice wedge to rest my foot on and to reinforce the sound with.
Overall, I love this new addition to the stable!
When you want your Ampeg stack sound in a practice format
- 5/5, 5 out of 5, reviewed Jul 18, 2018
- Build Quality:
One member found this helpful.paul likes this.
- + Ampeg sound in a small, practice size
- + Lots of usable volume from a small combo
- + Plenty of EQ control gives unlimited tonal options
- + Built-in Scrambler Overdrive is amazing
- + BUILT IN OD BLEND!
- 150 watts RMS power @ 8 ohms
- 15″ Ampeg Custom15™ speaker 8 ohms
1″ Piezo HF tweeter
- 24.8" x 20" x 15"
- 1/4" insturment
- 1 x 8 ohm extension speaker output
- EQ / Controls:
- Ampeg Ultra Hi/Lo tone shaping
Legacy Ampeg preamp with 3-band EQ
- $399.99 (USD)
- - Bass Scrambler™ overdrive delivers SVT grind (footswitch optional)
- True 60° sound reinforcement monitor angle
- Dedicated XLR balanced line out
- Independent effects send and return
- HF mute defeats horn for a rounder, more vintage tone
- -15dB input pad for active basses or additional level control
- Headphone out for silent solo practice
- Other Specs:
- - Roadworthy braced cabinet construction
- Protective all-steel amp chassis
- Impact-resistant black metal corners
- Durable double-thick Ampeg Classic black Tolex