I saw this bass in this color and simply had to have it.
The one I picked up used had the original Custom Shop pickup replaced with the popular EMG GZR-P passive vintage split coil. I received from the previous owner the original electronics but have decided so far to keep the EMG in there...it's made for vintage tones and seems to tick all of the boxes for a standard P bass tone.
This is a timeless classic instrument and the 2012 version is a nicely refined rendition. The maple neck has a beautiful satin finish on the back and a practical gloss finish on the maple fretboard, which stays clean nicely.
The fretworks and neck shaping is so comfortable and feels just like an old hat.
The lightweight open back tuners are a complete non event, no issues... they just do what they do without being noticed.
The build quality, fit and finish is practically perfect. The high mass bridge is very functional and easy to adjust, allowing for top mount or string through body configuration.
It's an average to heavy bass, weighing in at about 9.5 lbs.
Here is my Jade P with the ubiquitous tort guard and of course it is now strung with TI Jazz flats.
Eat your hearts out!
Fender American Standard Precision Bass 2012
- 5/5, 5 from 1 review
A Precision Bass with Custom Shop Pickups!
- No. of Frets:
- Active or Passive:
- Scale Length:
- No. of Strings:
One of the biggest improvements on the American Standard Precision Bass is the addition of Fender Custom Shop pickups. You'll love the Custom Shop '62 P Bass split single-coil pickup in this P Bass. Fender over-wound these pickups to give you more punch, midrange, bass and output. Perfect for all styles of music, this pickup gives you the fat, warm low end that the Precision Bass is known for.
Fender American Standard Precision Bass Guitar Specifications
- Series: American Standard
- Body Shape: Precision Bass
- Body: Alder, Gloss Urethane Finish
- Neck: Graphite Reinforced Maple, Modern C Shape
- Neck Finish: Urethane
- Maple Fingerboard: Satin Finish on Back, Gloss Finish on Front
- Fingerboard: Maple or Rosewood
- Fingerboard Radius: 9.5 inches (24.1 cm)
- Frets: 20, Medium Jumbo
- Scale Length: 34 inches (86.36 cm)
- Nut Width: 1.625 inches (41.3 mm)
- String Nut: Synthetic Bone
- Truss Rod: Posiflex Graphite Neck Support Rods
- Truss Rod Nut: 3/16 inch Hex Adjustment
- Pickups: Custom Shop ‘60s P Bass Split Single-Coil Pickup
- Controls: Master Volume, Master Tone
- Hardware: Chrome
- Tuning Keys: Fender/Hipshot Vintage Keys with Tapered Shafts
- Bridge: HMV, High Mass Vintage, (Strings-Thru-Body or Topload)
- Control Knobs: Knurled Chrome
- Included Accessories: Case
- Colors: 3 Color Sunburst, Black, Olympic White, Jade Pearl Metallic, Mystic Red, Mystic Blue