Separate names with a comma.
I glued all the perceived cracks. Lots of scraping once it's dry, and more staining!
Uh oh! It looks like there's another crack from the D tuner. Schietza!
By the way, here's the colors of the dye stain I am using.
Sanded back the gouge from the clamp. I didn't want to make it worse, so I didn't try to sand it right out.
Here's the crack off the E tuner - glued, sanded, scraped. Very smooth. Can't feel the crack at all!
I glued the crack. Lesson learned - fix the cracks BEFORE you start to stain/dye the wood!
Careless and impatient, I gouged the opposite side of the headstock when I clamped the glued crack. Heck, darn, and phooey.
Foolish man! Be more careful! Gouge from the clamp.
Diluted and applied some TiteBond II. I don't know how much, if any, wicked into the crack.
The crack has been glued. Now for more sanding.
Mojo! I can see lots of things there.
The back. Kinda relic-ed.
That pesky crack! The back of the neck needs cosmetic work still.
Head-stock. I need to bring out the burst, so work ahead!
Here it is today.
I like it, but... How do you know when it's done?!?!?!?!
I like the area above the belly cut.
I think at this point I'm going the work on the neck some more, and darken the front to bring out the burst more.
By the way, this bass cost $179 new. I paid $30 for the neck and body. I'll probably spend $300 or so for parts.
I dated it from the serial # once, but Yamaha repeats its sequences, so I'm not exactly sure. how old it is.
It looks somewhat serious to me. In the long run I decided to not try to pry it open aggressively, since I didn't want to make it worse or even...
There is a crack in the head-stock off the hole for the low E tuner.
It is indeed a Yamaha RBX 260.
The front done as well. More dings, scrapes, gouges, etc! Relic-ed!
This came clean easily. More dings!
I was happy to see that there was a full veneer over the joined alder pieces. The Yamaha guitar tech I spoke to (real nice guy - hats off to Ed!)...
I did make a "few" dings in the veneer.
The heat gun on the lowest setting sort of fragmented the EXTREMELY tough sealer coat. It had resisted all previous attempts with sand, chemical...
My cheapo putty knife. I did not know to round the corners...
The heat gun I used. Key!
Scraper. I did not find it useful.
The heat gun and the putty knife got the red off fairly well.
The parts that were on it.
Nice red! Sorry for the flash.
I had already removed the little bits that were on it.