£1000 to spend

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chris_AtariDoll, Jun 21, 2002.

1. Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    I have worked out i can afford about £1000 on a new bass rig, I currently have a Peavey TNT combo but feel like i need something better (and louder). I play in a Alt Rock band (pumpkins, my vitriol, etc...). Im having problems keeping up with my guitarists mesa rectifier. The other problem is i have a very small car (fiat seicento) so my rig needs to be quite portable (def. no 8x10s).

Looking for something easly available in the UK (i've got a friend who works for a large music store chain who owes me a few favours)

Anyone got any ideas?

2. Keep the Peavey, Chris, they're brilliant......

Then you can mail the grand to me:eek: :eek:

Sorry. Couldn't resist it.

Can't help either. I'm a home brew man myself:D :D

3. Dude, for that money you could get an Ashdown ABM rig and they absolutely rock!

I think they do a 500 watt 4x10+horn combo for about that much.

Check them out you won't be disappointed!
  4. Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    i was possibly thinking of a 2x10 that i can easily transport + a 1x15 for larger gigs. A head and cabs setup would be easier to arrange in my car.

Arch Giddle i have tried some of the ashdown gear, the friend of which i speak stocks ashdown. I tried a MAG 4x10 combo, didn't think too mutch of it, are the ABMs alot better?

5. hey
    i got my Ampeg B-2R, 210 & 115 for £1400 from the bass centre, so i'm sure u could find a decent 210 and 115 setup for a £1000.....2nd hand etc
    like u were saying u could get the 210 and a 115 for larger gigs, if i'm playing in a band and only need one of them i'll use the 15", if its a solo thing i'm doing i'll use the 210, i'll put them both 2gether if i need the full 350watts from my amp.
    u could look at the ashdown ABM 210 combo and ABM 115 for the extension if u like ashdown. Also try warwick if u can, quite cheap but good gear!

good luck

ABM are much better the the MAG series
  6. Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    my friend has suggested the following setup:

Warwick Pro-Fet IV head
    Warwick 2x10 cab
    Warwick 1x15 cab

he said he would throw in a Korg rack mount tuner and rack case for free

7. i tried the warwick profet IV, the warwick 410 and 115, although i didn't like it (sound wise) its a good price/quality ratio!!
    go fer it if the price is right!, and the korg rack tuner is cool!

personally i think the 210 and 115 combination is perfect for 'the working musician with the small car' :)

8. Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    Any other suggestions:

all for £1000
  9. What kinda wattage u looking at? 300-400ish?
    i mean your not gonna get a tube setup for £1000 :)
    u could probly pick up a trace rig (300w, 210, 115) for around £1000, whether u wanna risk it though...cos there goin/gone under.
    i'm not sure what fender rigs go at, i'v honestly never seen one! :)
    and of course u can mix and match, get really good cabs and a cheaper head, or vice versa, tis all up to you. for example i tried an ashdown ABM 300 with a warwick 210 and 115, and it sounded quite nice, a BIT like the ampeg, and that would cost about £1300. You really gotta just go out and try as many as u can!
    good luck

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

This makes no sense to me - you either like the sound of something or you don't and there is no point in buying it, if you don't like the sound! :confused:

There are loads of choices out there and just to buy something because it is good value is surely a false economy if you don't like the way it sounds - what else do you buy an amp/cab for, but the way it sounds!!???

Of course, Si-Bob is pointing out the subjective nature of this sort of thing; so in many ways there is no point in asking somebody else - the only important thing is that it sounds good to you and that's something that can't be done via forums like this - you just have to go and listen to them.
  11. All i was saying bruce is that i quite liked the sound, and the price was good (about £1000), but i didn't buy it because however i EQ'ed it i still got quite a bit of string noise, this may be to some people's liking, but not mine! apart from that, it was a nice sounding rig (sounded even better with the ashdown head), but i much perfered the Ampeg, it fit more of my criteria :). Also chris, the warwick 15 isn't that small either! but its damn bassy! 4 ports! :)

12. flacko

Dec 6, 2001
    Surrey , UK
    You could try a Laney B1. 1500W into 4 Ohms bridged, a single valve preamp - reviewed in recent Bass Player (Dec 2001 I think), where it came out with flying colours. About 559 sterling.
    Looks the best on the UK market to me at the moment - there is a spec. of it on Laney's web-site.
  13. Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    Well ive done it.... I bought the Warwick rig for a few reasons

1. The brand. I've always been a big fan of the warwick name, my new warwick thumb custom is the best bass ive played.

2. The price. My mate sorted be out with the whole rig (inc. cables, rack case, and a few sets of strings) for 900 UKP

3. The UK distributors just happened to mention that Stuart Zender (ex Jamiroquai) is using the same head at the moment.

Got a gig on friday,should have it buy then... hopefuly. I can't wait.
  14. Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    well first the good news...... My cabs arrived on friday..... They look excellent

but the bad news...... Due to problems with my order (the shop forgot to put the vat on).... my head is now on back order (could take a while).

So im just stood here looking at my cabs... I can't wait to use them.