£1300 to spend on bass rig, no ideas!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by neilsby, Dec 11, 2003.

1. neilsby

Dec 11, 2003
    Hi there,

I'm looking for a bass head and cabinet to gig with and to use in the studio. I play in a rock band, music available at farfromwords.co.uk, and we play venues up to about 300 in capacity.

I'm looking for something which has bang for the buck but which can be transported, can be bought in England and is versatile. I have a Tobias 6 string with active EMG pickups and a 4 string Washburn with active EMGs also.

I could really use some advice on what to buy and where to shop. I have about £1300, what split between head and cab should i do? Do i need a power conditioner? Rack case? ahhhhhhhhh!!!!

Thank you in advance.

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    you do not need a power conditioner...

your need for a rack case will depend on what you buy...

some of your other european buddies can help you spend that 1300...

3. Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
  4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I searched for the best sounding amp over many years and I must say the best I heard in the UK was Eden - and as for transportable - my WT300 is only 13lb and I put it in a small rucksack and can carry it anywhere!! :)

The Bass Centre - near Liverpool St. Station in London has the range - try them and you will be converted!! ;)

It is also great for studio use - it has a DI balanced out on the back which I have used several times, straight into the desk for recording.
  5. get the ashdown c110-300 combo, and the mini 4x8...highly portable rig that can kick ass when needed :)

And, you won't need the 4x8 for small gigs
  6. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    But only if you favour punch over depth.

7. Buy used equipment.

Since you are asking this question in the first place, this tells me you are still developing your taste. When the taste evolves, you will not lose your ass financially from buying new, then selling at used prices. I don't think there is a bassist alive who has not traded up at some time or other.