Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

£250 Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BigBullyBassist, Nov 5, 2003.

1. BigBullyBassist

BigBullyBassist

Oct 27, 2003
    Hey, I've been looking around a few music shops recently, trying a few bases and cannot decide what to get. I want a four string bass with close action and an uncoated underside of the neck. I'm into punk music (Greenday etc), but like playing other styles as well. Basically I want just a few good basses listed to look out for. I really want one that suits my style of music, but looks good. I like the look of musicman stingrays, and fender jazzes, rather than ibanez's or most yamahas, but i think these are a bit out of my price range, so am happy to settle for a copy. If anyone has any ideas on good copy makes, or any suggestions on bases to test, please tell me, and i'll look out for it next time i'm shopping for my bass. Thanks for the help
    :bassist:

2. you definitley should look at some form of fender Precission or Jazz bass, copies and the real deal. You may find a Mex fender for 250 used. I think you can get em for 350 new if you look around.

3. BigBullyBassist

BigBullyBassist

Oct 27, 2003
    Hey, cheers for that. Is mexican a line of fender like squier, or is it a model like jazz. If it's a line, which I sort of think it is, are they any good? In realation to other line such as squier, how does it relate. I'm really grateful for all your help, Thanks very much

4. Fender makes basses (and guitars) in 3 countries, mexico, japan, and america. You will see fenders referred to MiM (made in mexico), MiJ, and MiA. It is still a p or j bass, but the difference is where it is made. MiM's are the least expensive. Heh, and I would personally take anything over a squire. For starting out, a squire standard p bass is good, just stay away from the affinity's.

5. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    Sam Ash has a Stingray look alike made by O.L.P.
    I saw a nice looking blue 4 string for $200
    They also had a black 5 string for $229.

6. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    If you're pressed for cash, most guys on here would say buy second-hand. If you want a new Fender-style bass, Squier is the way to go. They may not have the cachet of their full-blown Fender cousins, but they're good quality and excellent value. If Music Man is your thing, I cannot recommend the Sterling by Music Man SUB highly enough.

7. Hey BigBullyBass

Did you look at Thomann yet for prices

http://www.thomann.de/gb/cat.html?gf=4_string_p_basses&oa=pra for P bass

http://www.thomann.de/gb/cat.html?gf=4_string_j_basses&oa=pra for J bass

Their own JB-75 is a decent bass, well built and sounds good if a bit heavy at 11lbs at about £90

This ones their Miscellaneous page

http://www.thomann.de/gb/cat.html?gf=misc_4_string_basses&oa=pra

Squier Jaguar going just now for £116 but check BassChat classified too.

Thunderbird has some bargains he's selling ATM

8. B@ssm@n

B@ssm@n

Nov 8, 2014
    none
    The Fender Modern Player bass is made in China and is excellent quality - like Squier CV basses.

If you like Green Day check out the Mike Dirnt basses. Fender and Squier make versions of this bass and they get good reviews. The Squier Matt Freeman also gets good reviews but it's a gloss neck I think. Squier also make the VM amber P-bass. I have one of these and they are excellent. The Sterling Sub Ray4 (active), also gets great reviews and is well worth checking out.

ESP and others all make good, inexpensive basses that might suit you. And as noted by several posters above the used market is a great source for inexpensive, good quality basses.

Try to play the bass in person before you buy if possible.

9. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    Definitely look into Squier. The CV and VM lines are nice. You should be able to pick one of those up for around £250 new.

Also, as mentioned by another poster, check out BassChat. It is a bass forum similar to TalkBass, but based in the UK, so the classifieds section is far more useful than the TB one, which is mainly US based. You can get stuff used for much less than the new price if you wait for the right thing to come along.

10. Musky

Musky

Nov 5, 2005
    UK
    2003 thread!

11. inate_hex

inate_hex

Apr 4, 2010
    Manchester, England
    I occasionally wet the bed.
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1415491338.557659.jpg

Musicman Bongo club #175