£300 to spend on my 1st bass. Which of these Three?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nosedivekarma, Mar 19, 2006.

1. nosedivekarma

Jun 28, 2005
    I have shortened my selection down to the following:

A Spector Performance 4 - £250

A Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic IV Passive - £285

A Yamaha RBX270 - £199

I'm looking to learn to play on this bass, with the hope to maybe upgrade after I get better at playing. My preferred style of music is mostly Sonic Youth style stuff.

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.
  2. cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    The Spector.... but spend a few extra pounds and get the Spector 'Legend' model.... :)
  3. i agree, get the Spector. i love spectors, they're pretty versatile.

honestly though, isn't there somewhere nearby where you can play them? play them all and then decide on which one fees and sounds the best.

as well, i'm pretty sure you know this but i'll say it anyways. don't get sucked into a bass based on looks.

Good Luck
  4. bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY

+1000 i totally agree. Rockbass isn't worth it... A WARWICK non-ROCKBASS would be...

Look on ebay. A lot of times those basses that aren't affordable new, suddenly are on ebay... You know?
  5. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    I got a fender jazz off ebay, its great.
  6. cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    ....and then you woke up... ;) :bag:
  7. nobes

Feb 14, 2006
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    +1 on the spector
  8. +1...its amazing some of the bargains you can get on ebay...a jazz would be the way to go if you ask me...
  9. Johnny5

Mar 5, 2006
    Calgary, Canada
    nobody's said anything about the yamaha yet?
    i got an RBX170 from a pawn shop 2 years ago - my first bass after playing guitar for 8 years. the one you're looking at (RXB270) has an extra bridge pickup, mine doesn't and i consider mine great sounding. that means you'll get a little more flexibility and tone shaping. i suggest you play it first, you'll be impressed. the styling isn't so great, but it feels great.