1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

£400 ($700) for a new 4 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sk8, Jul 19, 2007.

1. sk8

sk8

May 10, 2007
    United Kingdom
    I was originally looking for a 5 but think i might stick with 4 now and get a new bass :hyper:

Been recommended a Fender Precision on the keep it simple basis and i've had an Encore P copy which i enjoyed. Am i really going to get the value out of fender in my budget range.

Anyone esle got any recommendations. Been thinking about cort (GB74).

I do like the idea of the fender and it will be used in church and for rock/metal

Tried doing a search but there is so much stuff on TB!

Thanks in advance :bassist:

2. P bass go with the Highway One P

J bass go witha Gedy Lee-They are at $800 but they were at 700 before-at GC you can push them to bring it down if you find it online cheaper

3. £400 wont get you what would cost $700 in the states. It would get you what would cost about $400.

And importing is a whole other kettle of fish!

Id try and extend your budget a little. You sometimes see Stingrays going for £600 second hand.

If your wanting to stick with fender, check out the Fender Japan stuff :)

4. Jamesemt

Jamesemt

Jan 6, 2006
    Hull, UK
    I think your exchange rate is a little off too... we are almost at $2 to the £1

Squier Vintage Modified?
    Second hand Highway One/1?

5. I know thats the case

But things are more expensive here arent they.

Do you think they are paying $1,600+ for a standard MIA bass in the US?

Or $2,000+ for a stingray?

The exhange rate is not something to go by, as things are just more expensive here!

6. Also, going by exchange rates we are actually just over that mark as £1 = $2.05084

7. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I recall basses being more expensive in the UK than in Canada or the US but based on USA pricing, I would buy a used Geddy Lee Jazz, MIA P bass or maybe a used Stringray if you can find a cheaper one.

I know the type of music you play makes a difference but Fenders and EBMM are used for funk, jazz, metal, blues and just about any other kind of music you can think of.

8. sk8

sk8

May 10, 2007
    United Kingdom
    there are more expensive here

Any other options?

9. DazzyPig

DazzyPig

Jul 16, 2007
    Birmingham UK
    no chance of an EBMM over here £400, already tried it i'm afraid :/

10. This might be an option:
    http://musik-service.de/ProduxInfo....57&lng=de&KeyWords=fender+50s+precision+bass+
    With shipping to U.K: 443.339 GBP
    Or this one:
    http://musik-service.de/Bassgitarre-Fender-Standard-Precision-Bass-RW-80-prx395741972de.aspx
    350 GBP shipping included.
    Check their website for more fender basses.
    www.musik-service.de
    I bought my first Yammy from they and they send it to Colombia in south america, so they have good service.
    (hope this is not spam or publicity)
    Hellbastard.

11. Yeah, like i said he might be lucky to get one for £600, maybe worth while saving a bit more

12. I would say go second hand as better basses can be brought for less money.

If I were you I would go to a decent Bass store and try as many basses as you can till you decide what you like then look for a good second hand one.

If you can get to London [I know you live in Bristol] go to the Bass Gallery http://www.thebassgallery.com and try as many as you can. They are a very good shop to deal with and have a good selection of used gear which is always changing.

I live in Taunton and get all my gear from them as in my opinion they are the best shop in the UK.

I would suggest ebay but personally I am a little wary of buting a bass unplayed as I got caught one and would not do it again.
    Good luck in your search.

Regards

Matthew

13. sk8

sk8

May 10, 2007
    United Kingdom
    thanks for the replies

14. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    I managed to get my stingray for little over £500 after taxes and shipping from USA thanks to TB. But it's rare to see a deal like that, and it's a hassle organising everything to get it here that cheap.

15. Thats a damned good deal!

Did you manage to wriggle out of import tax and VAT? (which together would come to about 20% extra), how were the postage costs?

Go TB :)