1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

µ-POG settings?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Nyarlathotep, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    I'm hoping to get my µ-POG next week, but I wanna be prepared with some settings 1st.
    So, what settings do you guys use for what?

(PS: I searched for a thread like this, but couldn't find one)

(PPS: I guess this could be for the original POG too even tho im looking for micro settings)

2. Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Dutchess County, NY
    I have my Micro POG in the blend loop of the VFB set to 75% wet.

Dry is dimed (see above)
    Sub Octave at 2:30
    Octave Up at 12:30

It's hard to get a "bad" sound out of this thing. I play lots of chords and arpeggios and it tracks extremely well. I still have my OM for when I want sketchy tracking and bizarre analog artifacts (;)).

It sounds great before the Bottom Feeder, or MessDrive. You can get a useable organ sound by placing it before modulation as well. That octave up really adds definition and cut to the sound. It's pretty quiet, too, which is nice.

3. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime

Mar 30, 2008
    Florida
    You ready for my ultimate Hematoma + MicroPOG combo? You better be. It's awesome.

MicroPOG -
    Dry is cranked
    Sub Octave at 3 o'clock
    Octave up at 11:00

Hematoma -
    Gain at 10:00
    Tone at 12 (switch facing right for Jazz bass and left for P bass)
    Level at 9
    Pre-Gain at 12:00

Did I mention it's amazing? You can dime the sub-octave too, but you get lost in any mix easy.

EDIT: Here's a picture just to get a better idea.

[​IMG]

4. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    µ?

:rollno:

5. micro

in the time it probably took you to type out or copy and paste that character you could have just used the normal word :rollno:

6. mikeboth

mikeboth The last thing you'll ever see

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Operator: prophecysound systems
    I'm doubting the POG pedals have any 'tracking' mechanism - it's more likely they are DSP-based effects that 'slow down' (octave down) and 'speed up' (octave up) the input signal in real-time. If so, this would put them in a different class than octavers that can only handle one note at a time (as they rely on 'counting' the wave-cycles).

Not that it matters, as long as it sounds good of course, but a micro-POG is near the top of my 'next buy' list; playing in a trio, it could really fill out the sound.

7. Doolz

Doolz

Oct 5, 2007
    i use pretty much exactly the same settings as optimus, except i like my micro pog before my badder bass monkey, but after my heavy metal. i think both distortions dont let as much of the sub octave through when the micro pog is before them, but it sounds good where it is so whatever.

8. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Thanks for the setting ideas :D

Holy crap. Either I stole your Hema settings, or you stole mine. They are so close. I usually have the switch to the left, which IIRC is the more "open" sound with less high cut.

Im using my Hema to add a little OD "clankyness" to my sound on-demand.

µ = alt+2+3+0 = 4 key strokes.
    micro = m+i+c+r+o = 5 key strokes.

:p :D :ninja:

9. SpankyPants

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    I know what it means. I was just trying to make the same point.

MPOG?

or µ-POG?

Hit M, or hold down alt, type in some arbitrary number, then hyphenate, then get the rest of the word.

DanielTulip is beyond explanation.

10. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    :D :ninja:

EDIT: I just had to sig that.

11. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I'm GASing for a 10e-6 POG and I have the Messdrive and I'm looking at the Bottom Feeder as a filter so that's good to know!

12. SpankyPants

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    ;)

Spank006.

13. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Honestly, the 10e-6 POG just barely fits on my board. It isn't quite small enough for me, but it'll have to do. Can't wait for the z-POG. 10e-21 FTW.

Huh, now that I think about it, who wouldn't want a zepto-POG. Then you could say "My zepto-POG is one sextillianth the size of the normal one" ;) :bag:

14. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I did a Micro POG review on YouTube that shows off a bunch of different settings.

15. TMacATK

TMacATK

Jul 9, 2008
    Davis, CA
    Integration by parts, anyone?

16. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    San Diego, CA

Child's play. :D

I'll check out your video on it Bryan. You play that funny tuned bass though. ;)

17. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    funny tuned? My basses are just down a full step: DGCF and ADGCF.

18. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime

Mar 30, 2008
    Florida
    I just discovered the awesomeness of DGCF a few weeks ago. Unfortunately everything I know is either EADG or DADG.

19. I run dry at 3:00 o'clock or cranked, sub 1:00 and up 2:00..

I does marvelous things after modulation and delay.

MM

20. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime

Mar 30, 2008
    Florida
    After?!?! :eyebrow: