1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

‘Futurama’ Bass Guitar

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Robin_P, Dec 27, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Robin_P

Robin_P

Dec 27, 2017
    Hi all,

For Christmas this year I was bought my first bass. As I had never touched a bass before (although I do have a few years of guitar experience) Santa chose a second hand bass on eBay.

I will attach a picture below. I’m hoping someone can provide me with some information about the Futurama brand and let me know what particular model of bass it is?

From what little I can find online, the futurama brand was around in the 60’s and mine is probably a replica. Regardless, it would be nice to know who made it and what model it is.

Cheers!

Attached Files:

Greg Waldon, Helix and Raw N Low like this.
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    takemymoney.

hehe - too funny - looks like a low-end 70s Japanese import, might be pretty cool if it's playable. :thumbsup:

3. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    A closeup of the neck attachment plate at the back of the base of the neck might help identify the factory of manufacture. I'm not an expert, but there are plenty of them on here who can help. Some of these old imports were real gems.

4. Robin_P

Robin_P

Dec 27, 2017
    I’m no expert but the quality seems very good, it looks great and it’s great to play, so I’m happy! :D

I’ll attach a close up of the headstock. No country of manufacture is mentioned anywhere :eyebrow:

Thanks again!

3DFE72E3-4D9E-4D0B-932E-C268FEDE2447.

5. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Putting a decal with some personalized word or phrase in the Fender font on a parts bass is pretty common.

6. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    That actually might be a show tie-in or something, which would make it much more recent. How about the back of the other end of the neck where it joins the body? That plate might tell us more...

7. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    LowActionHero likes this.
  8. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    true, but this looks like a more commercial deal than the average home headstock customizer, apears to "have been a thing"... ...one use was one of Hagstrom's alternate brands, but this looks more recent, not sure whether it's related or not. Anyway, lots more results in google...

9. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Could be. But the "back to the future" in the corner wasn't a Futurama thing. It could be one of the million brand names old Japanese basses had but I'm betting it's a decal someone put on.

Bugeyed Earl and packhowitzer like this.
  10. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    To me the "Back To The Future" decal suggests the earliest it could be is 1985 since that's when the movie came out. But probably considerably later.

JIO, el jeffe bass and bholder like this.
  11. Robin_P

Robin_P

Dec 27, 2017
    Ah, I misread your earlier message!

Here’s a photo, but as you can see...nothing! :confused:

Personally, I’m sure the futurama part is a tie-in but the quality makes me think it’s come from somewhere reputable.

Attached Files:

TolerancEJ and bholder like this.
  12. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Thanks - this is potentially one of those "nothing says something" cases, but I think the google brand name search is likely to be more fruitful - lots of hits in there...

13. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Yeah - that's what makes me think it's not tied to the earlier Hagstrom side-brand usage. But also odd to apparently be tied to both that movie and possibly the TV cartoon, which (I think) are unrelated, but there's probably a connection to one or the other somehow, I would guess.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  14. Robin_P

Robin_P

Dec 27, 2017
    Ive spent a fair amount of time on Google. From what I understand, Hagström and Selmer both used the Futurama brand name around the 60’s/70’s.
    As you can see from the photos, mine is in pretty good condition - I don’t think it’s particularly old.
    On eBay there is a bass listed which is identical to mine apart from the knobs. There is very little info, except that it’s a replica...

superdick2112 likes this.
  15. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
  16. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    AFAIK, by the later '80s the Futurama brand had passed to the Hohner company, which often used Moridaira ("Morris") in Japan as a contract builder.

bholder likes this.
  17. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Ok done your homework then good. Well, I hope someone on here can help you get farther.

Edit: and like magic:

18. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    This looks like a really nice parts bass. And the owner/builder had a soft spot in his heart for movies and cartoons of a futuristic nature.

Pop the neck off. I wouldn't be surprised to find a Warmoth logo in the neck pocket or on the heel of the neck. Either way it looks like a good quality bass.

Also, if you pop the guard off, you will find date codes on the pots. That could help narrow it down too.

By the way, WELCOME TO TALK BASS!!!!!

19. ninepoundjammer

ninepoundjammer Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Some nice figuring in that headstock. I'm a fan of 80's Japanese instruments but I'm not confident this is one. Looks like a nice bass, I'm curious myself what the story is on it.

20. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I wouldn't say it's a Warmoth neck. I've never seen a bass neck on their site or any of the several I own with a skunk stripe or trussrod adjustment at the headstock.