“Bird” the movie & the Stingray bass!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by design, Feb 12, 2021.

1. I enjoyed the 1988 movie “Bird” when I first saw it. A portrait of the jazz great Charlie Parker, directed by Clint Eastwood. But when I rewatched it recently I realised the early ‘50s R&B band seen backing “Buster Franklin” include a 1987 Stingray bass and a Charvel Jackson pointy guitar!

Why, Clint, Why?! The horror!
    I hope at least that the players got to keep their new instruments!
    AEBE65B2-7450-4290-B842-FE1F3C4461DF.jpeg 722373F4-0200-4D70-9A9D-30818C912E7D.jpeg A439940D-4AF1-4005-9569-60E3980E9CA8.jpeg

ahc likes this.
  3. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Whoops! :D

packhowitzer and design like this.
  4. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

It’s as excruciating as seeing Gary Busey with a Telecaster in “The Buddy Holly Story”. But producers/continuity/prop people have gotten better in the last 30 years. I know a guy named Jim Elyea; he owns a prop house named History For Hire, History For Hire and not only does he own one of the largest collections of Vox amplifiers(in fact he wrote a deeply detailed history on the brand, I contributed some specs/details about my ‘66 AC-30), but he posseses a wide variety of other gear. When called on, he makes sure that everything that goes out is period or situationally correct, even fictional bands. In “That Thing You Do”, the Wonders work their way up from Danelectros and Silvertone Amps to Fenders, just like a real band of that time period would, for example.

Datsgor, kevin wells, GregC and 15 others like this.
  5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Wow..seen it & own it. Missed this!
    Technical advisor was...who?!?!

ahc and design like this.
  6. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    That means something to a select few people. Same people who noticed the different Strats and knockoff Strat types in the epic musical docudrama Wayne’s World. Like they had body double Strats!

But I’d be willing to bet Parker wouldn’t have cared. Same way Jaco wouldn’t have cared what kit Erskine played.

31HZ, Mr_Moo and design like this.
  7. tito0515

tito0515

Aug 21, 2008
    Marty McFly’s red Gibson wasn’t period correct either.

GregC, MonetBass, Randy Ward and 7 others like this.
  8. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    At the party at the Draper's party in Mad Men the gear was accurate! Actually the show's props and fashions etc. were period accurate.

The Wedding Singer amps? All wrong. Unless you used a DeLorean to cart gear. :)

9. for years, there's been internet rumors of '87 Rays & Charvels traveling back & forth through time. they usually go in pairs like this.

ElMon, Joebone, Fialka and 7 others like this.
  10. What Hollywood movies often have historical inaccuracies! Tell me it isn't so....;)

design and JC Nelson like this.
  11. Mistakes in movies always bug those closest to the subject matter. This one bugs musicians.

If you served in the military it's tough to watch many war films because of all the stupid mistakes which are so obvious to those who served.

I imagine it's the same for medical dramas, cop films, etc.

But sometimes it's fun to pick these things out, especially if they are in the background and go unnoticed for a long time; it's like finding an Easter Egg. Maybe it's a rotten egg, but still.

Naturekev, fhm555, JRA and 4 others like this.
  12. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    Try watching Braveheart as a Scotsman. Oi vey!

Datsgor, GregC, Eli_Kyiv and 7 others like this.
  13. tgrant

tgrant Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2005
    Middletown, VA
    If you ever get a chance, read a book called "confessions of a vintage guitar dealer" by Norman Harris (of Norman's Rare Guitars). He talks about movies in one of the chapters. Pretty interesting stuff. I borrowed a copy from my local library.

joe vegas, design and JimK like this.
  14. img_8673.jpg

design and JimK like this.

15. One of my favorite bits of the show. When my son was a baby, that exact recording of the song would quiet him down when he was crying.

Eli_Kyiv, Bozzy, Amano and 5 others like this.
  16. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Vocal Master!

Thanks for posting!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
    design and g-dude like this.
  17. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Complete with authentic feedback because the columns were in back, behind where the mic is.

18. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    There's a movie about the Osmonds that (at least in the microphone placement department) is a total trainwreck - OK, I may be one of the few who would notice, but whoever was doing props for that film had no clue.

My wife watches a lot of Hallmark movies, and one recent one had a guitar, bass, and drums as the band at a party. Neither the guitar or bass was audible, but there was a piano that was clearly audible (but not present visually).

design likes this.
  19. You sure she wasn’t watching a livestream of the last time I was on bass guitar at church? :D:laugh::roflmao::rolleyes::cautious::unsure::bored::thumbsdown::banghead::crying:

GregC, Eli_Kyiv and design like this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021