1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

“Bird” the movie & the Stingray bass!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by design, Feb 12, 2021.

1. TjMetalhead

TjMetalhead

Oct 19, 2011
    New Mexico
    Reminds me of the another one bites the dust scene in Bohemian Rhapsody. They got the right bass and finish except for the fact it's a stingray classic reissue from the last 10 years. Of course only a bass nerd would notice that.

Randy Ward, tito0515 and design like this.
  2. MVE

MVE

Aug 8, 2010
    Great catch.
    I love finding these sort of errors in movies.
    My all time favorite example is the movie Flyboys with James Franco. Wherein they are American WWI pilots flying French Nieuport biplanes. The enormous and totally unforgivable error shows them with fixed radial engines. In reality, almost all WWI radials were "rotary engines" where the entire engine spins around with the propeller.
    I know... I know, some of you might think, "Well who would really know that???"
    But anyone who knows anything about aircraft, especially antique aircraft, know that the rotary engine is a very iconic piece of WWI and all aviation history. I mean, think about it, the whole freakin' engine spins around with the propeller. It's crazy. It doesn't have a throttle, other than the on/off "blip-switch." No mufflers, so to speak, so they make an incredible sound that is instantly identifiable. It's pretty much, in fact, the defining attribute of the aircraft of WWI and the era. And further, most of the training time for those aviators was actually dedicated to learning how to control the engine more than flying or shooting or anything else. It could have easily been worked into the story of the film, even made into a character plot point that would have made the film a classic rather than a laughable scene stealing error, that only served to prove how little the film makers knew about WWI aviation.... who were making a multi-million dollar movie about WWI aviation.
    Sorry, rant over... back to talkin' bass.

3. Thanks MVE,
    An iconic piece of rotary equipment with an incredible sound that is instantly identifiable?
    You must be talking about the Leslie Speaker! ;)

4. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    At least it was only 2 years off though, not 20 years.

Eli_Kyiv, design and tito0515 like this.
  5. Almost any Mel Gibson historical film is egregious. The Patriot had a lot of "yeah right" moments in it, as well as depicting the British as horrible over the top war criminals, and I say that as an American.

And we all know that in real life, Australia has several V8 Interceptors left and more than a few guys like Max Rocketansky driving around down there, right?

kevin wells and design like this.
  6. The spinning engine block acts like a big heavy gyroscope and greatly affects how the aircraft maneuvers, so pilots had to be trained, or learn on the job if they lived long enough, how to handle it.

Okay, yeah, I'm an aircraft nut.

To tie this in with basses, this WWI ace pilot Eddie Rickenbacker was the cousin of Adolf Rickenbacker, who founded the company currently known as Rickenbacker Instrument Corporation.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.americangrit.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2018%2F04%2FEddie-750x422.png

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
  7. Unfortunately there are goofs and inconsistencies in most movies,
    Enjoy them for their other production values.

regardless, i like your avatar,
    This is a painting I inherited from my grandpa who was a merchant marine.
    image.jpg

design likes this.
  8. Wow. Thanks Spectrum. I had no idea there was a famous Rickenbacker before the guitar company.

Spectrum likes this.
  9. Thanks Dubious! My avatar is of a gift I gave a friend years ago. I just now took the time to find the original source, a painting from 1920 of a Dutch sea rescuer hero. I have no family connection to this painting, though the artist Harry Haerendel is from Hamburg, which isn’t too far from where my Great-great-great Grandfather hailed.

Distractions.....: The Fisherman

JimK and Dubious Aa like this.
  10. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    #1 Can we all just agree that other than Mad Max, Mel Gibson has been a waste of carbon?
    Sophie Marceu's character in Braveheart was 13 at the time, so that would have been weird, Braveheart was Robert the Bruce, the whole timeline is bollox and ... don't get me started on the frikkin accents. I've punched people for doing Scottish accents at me that were better.

In Miles' biography he talks about Bird, and how the movie made him out to be this tragic character without coming and talking to anyone still alive (like Miles) who knew him. Miles wasn't shy about his opinions either, so well worth a read BTW.

11. BobKos

BobKos Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Only other bass players ever notice the bass player. Hence nobody ever noticed including some bass players!

design likes this.
  12. Look at the guitars in American Graffiti. You will see a '72 Strat in the movie (bullet truss rod) that was supposed to be in 1962. Some band scene. It happened a lot more before Fender started remanufacturing their old style guitars.

design likes this.
  13. biguglyman

biguglyman

Jul 27, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    As someone who spent 5 years in the Navy as a sonar technician, I can't watch most submarine movies. Even the good ones (Hunt for Red October, etc.) have glaring inconsistencies. Hunter Killer was one of the worst. Jumped the shark in the first 90 seconds. Wife tells me I need to "suspend belief" when watching these movies...but it's HARD!

Datsgor, Spectrum, MVE and 1 other person like this.
  14. The Rainbow And The Rose, a book by Neville Shute, includes a wonderful description of flying a Camel......

MVE likes this.
  15. That's less shocking than using a Stingray and a Charvel in a film set in the 50's.... surely they should have inquired a bit better...

GregC and design like this.
  16. Portamenti

Portamenti

Jan 2, 2021
    I always use That Thing You Do as a shining example of how to do music movies right. These details are important to us music nerds!

JimK, design and Randy Ward like this.
  17. stringthrough

stringthrough Supporting Member

Back to the future

design likes this.
  18. Sweet! Thanks for the link, i knew very little about the painting, now i know a bit more!!

design likes this.
  19. Sounds like the continuity department failed to do their job.
    LOL
    Dirk

design likes this.
  20. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...Happy Day. Not a darn pre-CBS Fender in the whole series. Some nice '70s basses, though.
    (Caveat: Not 100% sure of the early episode with Flash Cadillac & his band).
    :D

design and Portamenti like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 16, 2021