1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

“Sad Boy” music?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by OldDog52, Nov 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Being a geezer, I’m out of touch with current music trends. I just read about a new-to-me genre of music called “sad boy”.

Urban Dictionary: sad boy

“Typically a young teen guy that listens to music such as cloud rap and vaporwave. They also enjoy wearing black and white clothes with sad faces or Japanese lettering. Some even wear bucket hats and enjoy drinking Arizona iced tea. They are generally depressed and long for a girl to fix that, however they somewhat enjoy the fact that they are sad.”

Apparently this is a thing because the student DJs at local station KRVM are producing a show that will feature a 20 minute segment of “sad boy songs”.

Student Powered Radio - KRVM.org

Scroll down for the scheduled air dates & times (can be streamed).

Kids these days! Actually the list of music they’re selecting gives me hope for the younger generation. ;)

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
    bearfoot likes this.
  2. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I have no idea what vaporwave or cloud rap are. But there is this...

These boys aren't sad, they're shy, but maybe that's close enough...

saabfender likes this.
  3. AboutSweetSue

AboutSweetSue Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2018
    Lebanon, TN
    Sounds like a movement I’m going to ignore.

JimK, rmayer, DirtDog and 2 others like this.
  4. "original" sad boy song:

5. AboutSweetSue

AboutSweetSue Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2018
    Lebanon, TN
    That’s lasted all but two minutes. I read about this guy being a “sadboi” musician. But, I honestly have no idea. It does sound like he is trying to cry while singing. Not sure if that’s a stylistic thing or not.

6. Vaporwave started off as an internet half-joke a few years ago and has since morphed into something that exists for real. Sort of. It has definitely influenced other music in the years since. It's not really new.

saabfender, DirtDog and Jokei like this.
  7. Sad, Literally?... Perhaps
    Sad, Figuratively?... Yes Indeed
    b0DFaUQ.

trailer and Ross W. Lovell like this.
  8. Wistful boy music?

Skillet likes this.

9. 2m8amu.

ImpaledOnHi-Hat likes this.
  10. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Wasn’t this what Emo was 15 years ago? Wasn’t Morrissey the original sad boy? Or sad bastard at least? I’ve lost track. I’m going to go listen to my earlier Cure albums now, I’m so confused and distraught.

saabfender, Spectrum, JimK and 9 others like this.
  11. Dabndug

Dabndug Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2017
    Somewhere in Oz
    I think Robert Smith had a lock on this since the early days of The Cure. "Boys Don't Cry" is probably seminal "sadboy". The Disintegration album is a treatise on the concept. He does veer into happy sounding material every now and then though, which may disqualify him.

Sting was also in on the act. "Message in a Bottle", "Can't Stand Losing You", "So Lonely", "Wrapped Around Your Finger", and "Every Breath You Take" are all the work of a deeply depressed soul. His solo work depresses me, but that's a different story entirely.

saabfender likes this.
  12. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    no, this is much worse because the world is much worse now. d'uh. What if you are stuck in a place where there are only 3 robot girls for every 12 almost real boys (bois)? That would be very sad.

13. klyph

klyph Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2009
    SE MA USA
    You keep your "seminal sadboy" to yourself! Ick....

saabfender and Michedelic like this.
  14. brlottermann

brlottermann

May 14, 2011
    Boston, MA
    when i first started hearing the term "sad boy" from my friends who were really into that stuff back in like 2013 it was stuff like yung lean, oddfuture, and then later guys like lil xan and lil peep (all the lils). Lo-fi beats with sad, self deprecating lyrics, 90s references/themes, random japanese things.. Its pretty much the result of the pill-popping culture imo, the overprescription of stuff like xanax/oxys/codeine and the shag-it-all mentality. gotta say, i love this song though haha

15. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi folks :(:crying: :D

:thumbsup:

Let' s get together and form a "sad dads" band! :laugh:

thecured.

greetings

Wise(b)ass

saabfender, JRA and Killed_by_Death like this.
  16. ardgedee

ardgedee

May 13, 2018
    Wouldn't Nick Drake qualify?

or fado music?

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    What's with all the "woe is me" these days? I miss the days when musicians didn't take themselves so damn seriously and actually had a little humor in their songs. Even the most angst-filled musicians often managed to interject a little humor here and there.

Spectrum, two fingers, JimK and 2 others like this.
  18. Turbo Sparky

Turbo Sparky Supporting Member

May 14, 2018
    South Eastern U.S.
    Yet another case of "Low-T."
    Life sucks, suck it up.

JimK likes this.
    saabfender and Spectrum like this.
  20. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    I used to hate all the little genres and sub-genres of modern music, but I actually think they’re fun now. I can’t wait to see what comes up next, especially in the vast, super-particular metal head or jazz world.

saabfender, knumbskull and OldDog52 like this.