1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD “The Army Bass” - Custom Olive Drab ‘70s Style Precision Bass w/ Black Block Jazz Neck

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by The Bass Clef, Apr 2, 2019.

1. The Bass Clef

The Bass Clef “the brian” Gold Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    Price:
    $995
    Strings:

F6F7649B-EFCE-4AE5-8C8E-2B472C989E66.

”The Army Bass” - Custom Olive Drab ‘70s Style Precision Bass w/ Black Block Jazz Neck

Cool one of a kind early ‘70s style P bass in custom olive drab green (nitro) finish with a black block/bound Jazz neck. Built by me a couple years ago. This bass is very light, loud, and plays sweet all the way up and down the board with no issues. The bass looks great, but has some scratches and dings from use. The nitro finish will continue to wear naturally as it gets played in the future, but because this nitro is thinner than a poly finish, it acquires “mojo” easier. I mention this because there is finish chipping around the neck pocket (from trying out different necks to find the perfect one), which I darkened with a Sharpie pen because it’s less noticeable and looks better to me than it did when the white undercoat was showing thru around the neck (see pics). The neck is nice and straight with very smooth low action and the truss rod works good. The truss rod nut itself is a little chewed up, but does its job fine, and there are some minor screwdriver marks in the body by the truss rod nut (which can’t be seen with the pickguard on). And most importantly, this bass sounds amazing, like a vintage P! Here’s all the specs...

Body: Made in USA by Wildwood Mfg., ash, finished in custom Olive Drab Green nitrocellulose lacquer by Mark Jenny of MJT Guitars.
    Neck: AllParts maple w/ black blocks & binding. Very cool vintage tint to the finish (with some natural wear) and ‘70s style Fender Jazz Bass logo. Headstock has a couple extra holes filled in (under the finish) from a previous string tree that wasn’t needed (and hardly noticeable now).
    Hardware: Fender USA AVRI barrel saddle bridge, Fender “Pure Vintage” USA RI knobs (lightweight alloy), 3-ply black pickguard, relic early ‘70s RI tuners, USA RI “F” neck plate, USA RI chrome bridge cover & tugbar.
    Electronics: Seymour Duncan SPB-1 pickup (w/ cream P/U covers). USA CTS 250K pots w/ .1uf “red chicklet” cap.
    Strings: D’Addario Roundwounds (not pictured)
    Weight: SUPER lightweight at only 8 lbs. 2 oz. with the chrome cover on!

Will ship in a nice Fender padded gig bag and be very well packed.
    *NOTE: I’m also throwing in a FREE 3-ply mint green pickguard along with the black guard (see last pic)!

*Click on thumbnails below to enlarge*

$995 Shipped (USA)
    Paypal accepted.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019 at 6:03 PM
    B-Lo, Atshen, JJR58 and 6 others like this.
  2. I salute this bass!

Bfieldy, The Bass Clef and Dan80sMan like this.
  3. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    The text of your ad is unreadable in TB's dark mode. You might want to go with white text. Carry on, soldier...

4. The Bass Clef

The Bass Clef “the brian” Gold Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    Thanks for letting me know. I think I fixed it. Let me know if not please. :)

spiritbass likes this.
  5. Bfieldy

Bfieldy

Sep 29, 2018
    Outstanding bass! GLWTS

The Bass Clef likes this.
  6. blepp

blepp Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2013
    Orlando
    Green Manalishi!

7. extreme

extreme Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Man! Super nice. And that era of Fender tuners are my favorite!!! I didn't know there were any repros being made of those. This looks to me like the "typical" '70s player Fender bass...some funky non-standard green refinish, Dimarzio pickups, swapped jazz neck...I could totally get down with this!