1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

“Use the search function”

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by The Deep, Feb 14, 2020 at 2:52 PM.

1. Yes, there is nothing new under the sun

7.5%
  2. No, opinions change and new information periodically comes to light

68.7%
  3. Carrots

23.9%
  1. The Deep

The Deep

Jul 21, 2017
    Minnesota
    I posted this response in another thread, but thought it might be interesting to flesh out in a thread of its own (along with a poll). Here’s the original post below.

I just want to say, I really can’t understand why people feel the need to post “use the search function”. Allow me to explain some of the reasons:

1. Some of the thread topics may be old (as in nothing particularly recent) information. Opinions do change and the passing of time has a way of providing fresh perspective and shaping new thoughts on old subjects.

2. This is a bass forum. How many genuinely new topics do you think can be brought to the table within a given amount of time? There’s only so many bass related topics one can discuss. Topics will invariably repeat after a given time cycle.

3. What’s wrong with bringing the topic back up in the hopes it will generate new responses from users that didn’t have opportunity to chime in (or who weren’t even members) the last time it was asked?

4. Perhaps all the previous posts provided a wealth of information, but not the one specific nugget the poster was after. Starting a new thread allows for the opportunity to actively shape and direct the discussion to meet the posters specific query.

Yes, the search function is useful. I’ll give you that. Sometimes it is indeed all you need, but sometimes it simply isn’t.

If you don’t want to add your thoughts to the discussion, simply move on about your day. I’m quite certain 99% of the people using computers these days knows how to perform a search. Taking on the role of Captain Obvious does nothing to further the discussion.

Just some food for thought.

bassista6, fig, Mr Cheese and 4 others like this.
  2. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    Shouldn’t this be in a different forum? ;)

3. Inara

Inara Fierce Fun Fretless Female

Jun 12, 2017
    Seattle, WA USA
    ... and when someone does use the search and revives an old thread that is related, complaints about zombie threads inevitably follow.

4. mike57

mike57

Feb 12, 2009
    Our Fair City, MA
    Get off my lawn.

murphy, Thegrandwazoo and Warpeg like this.
  5. Jebberz

Jebberz Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Quebec city
    Gear Addict here. New gear is created - so new posts are needed.

Thegrandwazoo likes this.
  6. The Deep

The Deep

Jul 21, 2017
    Minnesota

I wasn’t sure where this best fit.

I figured people ask questions related to basses, so bass forum?

Mods, if there is a more appropriate location for it, please feel free to move it there.

7. I'd like to send a shout out to my moms, Big Ju-Ju, and all the boys down at Teddy's Tipple Inn!

HI MAMA!

Humbled, Jim Nazium, DrMole and 3 others like this.
  8. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    Chittenango, NY
    The "search function" was pioneered by Steve Jobs for the NeXT computer systems.

murphy likes this.
  9. Splash7

Splash7

Sep 18, 2019
    Cypress, TX
    I used to be a moderator on another forum a few years ago. Every once in awhile I would have to remind a member of the forum that they weren't a moderator and should let us do our jobs.

Your posts remind me of those members. Maybe you should ask if you could be a staff member on TB.

10. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    Cool sarcasm. :thumbsup:

Splash7 likes this.
  11. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    What I will do is post links to other posts of the topic in progress.

12. jeff62

jeff62 Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    I’ve yet to see a thread topic that has been previously beaten to death (multiple times) show up in a new thread where it hasn’t already been covered. If you are seeking something different than what you found via TB search (or better yet, Google search with “Talkbass” in the search string), and it is suggested that you use the search function then I suspect that you have not been specific enough in your post to cause interest to be generated or to individualize your idea. Just a thought.

13. swink

swink

Jan 10, 2019
    Belgium
    For me a forum is a place where you can talk to people about any given topic to make and break opinions.
    If someone's bored about a topic he can always choose to skip the conversation.
    And for those search engines sake,.... Why read the bible, when you can go to church?

fig likes this.
  14. Esteban Garcia

Esteban Garcia bassist, arranger, erstwhile reed man Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Portland, OR
    I used the search function and still can't find a good reason to spend more than $2K on a bass or what the best bass for metal is, or figure out if a P Bass really is a one-trick pony... so, here I am. Also, flats. And tort. And carrots.

There's like 6 topics that get hashed and rehashed, and they're super easy to skip over if you don't have a dog in that particular fight. :thumbsup: Just keep scrolling. :cool:

15. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Depends on the topic... some reasoning is quite timeless. For example the answer to the question of why expensive things are expensive will always be the same. If you use the search function you can easily confirm this.

16. BobKos

BobKos

Apr 13, 2007
    Forum search functions suck. Period. I very seldom can find what I am looking for with a forum search function. I agree that Google is better and follow the hits that bounce back to TB.

17. Charlzm

Charlzm

Mar 25, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    My tendency is to do a search, find a thread about the exact issue and see that the last post was someone saying they would report back and.... it's five years later now. So I dutifully post in that thread instead of starting a new one and... here we are, with questions.

Humbled, Jeff Scott and fig like this.
  18. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Some people get off on being kind of obnoxious about things that don’t matter. They usually act like everyone else is out of line for pointing it out.

gebass6 likes this.
  19. swink

swink

Jan 10, 2019
    Belgium
    It is the same, but is it correct....
    I can imagine that after 15 years of the same questions and circular conversations, you get bored by them...
    I'm quite new to this site and for me the conversations are already the same as when I first attended this site.
    I also noticed it was old conversation with new people and IMHO this means that the Talkbass community is still healthy and alive....
    This is a nice way to make friends: You already talked about cars,football and *** yesterday. Can you pls. shut up?:thumbsup: