0.1uF Capacitor on a Jazz?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassistheplaceofcourse, Nov 28, 2015.

1. bassistheplaceofcourse

bassistheplaceofcourse

Oct 26, 2014
    Just wondering... I have a 0.1 cap on my P-bass, and I love the warm funky tones I can with some heavy roll off ala Pino. I see plenty of love for this option on talkbass threads vs the stock (I think) 0.047 option. But for Jazz basses the discussion tends toward the other direction, to 0.033 or 0.022.

No one has a 0.1 cap on their Jazz? I'm vaguely thinking about trying it on a fretless Jazz sometime in the future.

Any thoughts on this pressing issue?

2. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    I have a switched capacitor tone control in my PJ jazz bass and one position will give me a 0.1. I can't say that it is the most used option and my neck pickup is a Precision pickup but it does give a nice, deep tone. I believe there are others who use them. Give it a try. You can even put in a push-pull tone pot so that you can select between two values if you like.

3. Will_White

Will_White

Jul 1, 2011
    Salem, OR
    When I have a tone control i use a .1uf I'm actually planning on using a .18uf in a build I'm working on, it won't be for a standard tone control though.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  4. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    All my passive Fenders have a .1 tone cap. I've tried them all and for my purposes the .1 provides the best effect. That said I use my tone control with a specific effect in mind as opposed to just taming the edge off an otherwise bright sound.

5. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Depends on what you like. But capacitors are relatively cheap so it's easy to experiment with different values to see which you like best.

If you're torn between multiple values, it's easy to add a capacitor switch that lets you choose among several. That's often called a "varitone" which you can wire up for yourself, or buy preassembled. The prebuilt variety are moderately expensive for what they are. But they'll drop right into your bass and replace an existing pot with no need for additional drilling. Stellartone is probably the best known maker although there are several others.

6. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    It depends on what you want. If you want to roll of highs and mids, more like a dub tone, then yes, a .1 cap will do that. I personally prefer more mids in my mix on my passive basses when the tone is rolled off, even more than the "standard" .047, so I use a .033, which was OEM on the original stack-knob J-bass for the bridge tone cap, for that very reason.

Yes, you can always add a rotary switch to have different caps in the circuit. This can also be wired in conjunction with a typical 250 kohm or 500 kohm audio taper tone pot. It is only limited by the amount of time and money you want to spend, and how many holes you want to drill in the bass.

Growlmonkee likes this.
  7. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    You can't extrapolate from P-bass pickups to Jazz pickups, but it is easy t experiment by trying different values. In doing that I've honed in on a certain setup. I use a mini center-off toggle switch and that is set up to give 0.047 mfd stock value, the other side is 0.015 mfd for a somewhat higher cut-off frequency and the center off position takes all caps out of the circuit. That is a setting as bright as the bass will go (even though maxing the tone takes most of the roll-off out there is still some R left in the circuit...Hence the disconnect).

That works for me, but it's really simple to just try different values in the tone circuit and find a couple that work for you. That's the best way.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  8. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    i tried it with my passive 5 string jbass and hated it. i play roots & dub, but the resulting darkness was just too much, imo. :(
    it's a quick in & out procedure, so have at it! :)

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021