Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

00Funk vs Discombobulator

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Sweets, Sep 20, 2005.

1. Sweets

Sweets

Aug 2, 2005
    Anyone had any experience comparing these two pedals? I just tried out a Discombobulator with my rig and, while it sounded okay, it didn't have such a dramatic effect. It almost sounded like it only put the envelope "wah" on the upper midrange and treble.

2. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I've tried a few wahs and auto wahs and they all seem to only put the wah in the upper freqs. I cannot imagine the wah effect on the lows. I think it will sound bad. Some pedals allow you to blend some clean lows into the wah effect. The Digitech BSW allows this.

3. mksolid

mksolid

Jan 4, 2005
    Brooklyn
    don't waste your time. The smoothest pedals out there are pretty much the Pigtronix EP-1 and the Lovetone Meatball. So you've pretty much got a $200 dollar option and a $500 dollar option. I have the Pigtronix and I can attest that you're not gonna touch it with any boss/ebs/chunk pedal.

4. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    Got to disagree re the ebs. The meatball, EP1 and ebs are all different and all good imo. Wild would be my description of the meatball.

5. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I have to disagree with that. There are some excellent filters in the sub $150 range.

The EBS is definitely the best in that range, its an excellent filter and I happen to like it more than the pigtronix.

In the $500 ish bracket, there are many more options than the Meatball - the Moogerfooger Lowpass filter is excellent, and the current vintage fad is for the Mutron III.

6. mksolid

mksolid

Jan 4, 2005
    Brooklyn
    i forgot about the moog lowpass. that's a good one too. When i tried chunk 00 it wasn't as smooth with its sweep as the pigtronix

7. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    I'm using the EMMA pedal in my board now and I got to do a side by side with the 00Funk and the MoogerFooger LP. I ended up buying the EMMA because it had a great filter sound, less controls, and was very responsive to dynamics. The Moog is still on my wishlist. Last week I got to compare a MURF and a Pigtronix and the Pigtronix is IMO the better bass effect. Technically the Pigtronix box is a phaser, not a true filter auto-filter, so it isn't really a fair comparison with the EMMA or the 00Funk. It sounds pretty badass, and it can take external trigger/source which puts it up there with the Moog pedals. Another killer filter is the Frostwave Resonator. That might be the deepest filter effect out there.

8. Sweets

Sweets

Aug 2, 2005
    Thanks guys. I actually tried out the Pigtronix, and while it was a nice unit, was not exactly what I was looking for. Guess I'm just going to have to figure out how to do a side-by-side test myself!

Anyone have any experience with Rastop?

9. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    I've had the Rastop envelope/distortion for a couple years now and I'll probably never get rid of it. It's really small, true bypass, has a volume knob, filter sweep/range knob, and one for distortion. Sounds awesome and it kills two birds w/ one stone for me. The guy does good work. The BassIQ is a keeper too but IMO the Pigtronix still takes the cake. I will concede that the Meatball can get a little weirder or more over the top - but those go for twice as much and are nowhere near as user friendly. I would like to pick one up again at some point to keep in the studio - I couldn't imagine taking it to any gig.

10. ThumbyAche

ThumbyAche Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2005
    Denver, Colorado
    I sold my EBS and got a cheaper MXR and I love it. It has the sound that I was looking for. I just couldn't make the EBS happen for me..but that's me.