1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

.020 neck pocket shim--how to make one?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Dr. PhunkyPants, May 2, 2006.

1. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    I have been making a P bass and when I seated the neck, I found the pocket is too wide (vice deep). There is a consistent .020 gap above the neck, about the thickness of 1.5 business cards.

Any recommendations on what to use to fill it?

2. TreeChild

TreeChild

Feb 28, 2005
    Wimberley, TX
    i've used buisines cards before.

3. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    Are you planning on a transparent finish? That could be tough.

Hobby shops could have some thin sheets of balsa for aircraft. or you could layer some hardwood veneer.

some really thick finish on the inside walls of the pocket might help to reduce the gap.

you could also try centering the neck in the pocket to create an equal sized gap all the way around for uniformity and the rely on thinner layers of veneer to close up the gaps all around.

just thoughts.

4. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    or... buy a cheap set of feeler gauges and cut off the .020 feeler and insert that. the metal should provide good resonance transference. it would just need to be covered up in some manner.

5. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Wood veneer edging tape is available at Home Depot (at least around here) in oak, maple and mahogany. It's sold by the foot.

Or if you know someone who has a very sharp table saw and knows how to use it you might get one made. No matter what you do it will show a bit but if you finish it right it won't be too obvious.

6. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    Thanks guys. I don't much care if it's visible. I just don't want to go for one of my patented power moves and tug the neck just enough to go a little out tune...thassall.