1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

03 MIM Fender Jazz Bass opinions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DavidEdenAria, Dec 28, 2016.

1. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    I found a clean one.....what to expect overall and how do these compare to early MIM and the latest versions?

Haven't had a chance to check it out thru an amp...I assume the pickups would be the first to go but how are the 03 ceramics?
    I has a rosewood board and seems fairly light....not much more than 8 lbs is my guess.

Thanks in advance?

2. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    Anyone?

3. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sweetwater Employee
    I have an 04' MIM and it's an excellent bass. A bit heavy but it's good. I did a bit of work to it since I got it but it's got great bones. Electronics are good, neck is great, overall a very solid bass. It's on par with the best MIM Fenders I have played.

DavidEdenAria likes this.
  4. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    94 owner here. It's one of my favorite basses. Lightweight, fast neck, and a great tone after I put in some emg grz butlers in it. It's my go to p bass.

DavidEdenAria likes this.
  5. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

Jul 22, 2011
    I have a 2001 MIM Jazz and I love it. I have a badass II lying around that I'll throw on it eventually and I was going to replace the pickups but can't think of anything that would give me what I want. I want a jazz and this sounds like a solid jazz bass. Maybe a shielding job. Also, mine has a rw fretboard and the skunk stripe sticks out just a hair behind the 2nd/3rd/4th fret. Doesn't really bother me but just make sure it won't bother you down the line.

It is remarkably light compared to every other jazz bass I've tried. I'm also thinking about removing the volume knobs and just having the tone control location be a master volume because my hands are huge and when I use a pick they get in the way. Any mods I've mentioned are for personal preference and not universally necessary for the bass.

To answer your question more directly, the MIM jazz's are solid instruments. If you find things you'd want to change, there are a lot of options. But they are great even when they're stock.

Jazzcaster89 and DavidEdenAria like this.
  6. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    Got it bought!

I haven't even plugged it in but it seems lively unplugged....more later.