Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

'03 Solano to rattle your house

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by .matthew e wengerd., Feb 19, 2004.

1. I just got my 2003 Rumano Solano Klotz copy (a lot like Monte's) last week. What a bass! She even sounds better than she looks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

time to practice

2. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Congrats!! She is beautiful. That nut wood is really gorgeous.

Did yours have a tailpiece raiser (extended saddle)? Mine came with one that cracked, but my luthier looked at it and measured the angle, and said it wasn't necessary. When he took it off it seemed to help, although part of it might be the new Velvet 180's; by far the best strings I've ever had. I might even make it through Beethoven 5 in one piece in March!!

BTW, mine keeps getting better the more I play it.

Enjoy!!

Monte

3. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Very nice! Seems like a lot of us have gone shopping this year.

4. Yep. She's pine and english chestnut, all over 90 years old. From pictures, she doesnn't seem as deep as yours and I like the playability this affords. I'll have better pictures later, but there actually is no "saddle" as I had known previously. It's all a tailpiece raiser, but nowhere near as large as yours was. Just moderate enough to match the overstand.

btw-You need to post new pics of your bass somewhere.

5. Congrats!!
    A couple of questions...Monte, what do you mean by "nut wood"?
    The top on this bass looks quarter sawn....Right? Here's where my bass building knowledge gets kind of dicey, based mostly on watching my partner Bob Ross work and listening to our own "luthier heavies" here on TBDB.
    Monte, as I remember, your Solano isn't quarter sawn right?
    Maybe one of our luthiers can explain the diff. between quarter sawn and....anyway, I know it's cut a totally different way. :help:

6. Rrowr, rrowrrrr!

Congratulations! Was the extended fingerboard standard or a special request?

Speaking of which, Marcus, have you taken delivery of your New Standard yet?

7. I got it backwards....Quarter sawn is the typical up and down vertical grain that you see on most tops of all members of the violin family. SLAB cut was the term I was trying to remember in my attempt to describe the top on lowendgruv's new Solano.
    So I was asking Monte that as I remember, his Solano is quarter sawn.........
    Help me out here Lutherie!!!

8. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Yep, mine is quarter sawn, and Matthew's is slab cut. Rumano does both.

Nut wood. I meant that his was from a nut bearing tree (although I couldn't remember what at the time. Mine is a little more traditional with spruce top and tiger maple back and sides.

Monte

9. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Nope, not yet.

10. With Rumano, nothing is "standard." We hadn't talked about it but he did it anyway. Seems like he usually puts extended fingerboards on.

11. FidgetStone

FidgetStone

Jun 30, 2002
    Allen, TX
    WOW! I just got a new bass myself. How could I be jealous already? Beautiful wood. Congratulations.

12. stiv1

stiv1

Apr 20, 2002
    Knoxville
    Looks beautiful dude!! How bout a couple of pics of the

back.

13. forthcoming..........

14. Pictures should be posted this evening.
    finally spending more time with may bass than my computer!

15. jlattuada

jlattuada

Apr 25, 2001
    Richmond, Va
    Your new Bass is beautiful, I thought I'd post a picture of my Quenoil Style Solano Bass. I've had it 3 years and it keeps getting better the more I play it. My teacher is envious every week I have a lesson. Hope you enjoy your new Bass.

Attached Files:

16. Gorgeous! Rumano alsways does such wonderful things with tailpieces.

17. jlattuada, Your Solano looks great and a really creative pose!!
    Thanks Man

18. boy! amazing how just one month will open a bass up! can't wait till my recital!

19. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Is that an 'X' brace i see showing thru the lower F hole? I wonder what he put on top and bottom in the back as well for crossbars.....