'03 Stingray Neck Profile - Closer to Fender "B" or "C" profile?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Groover, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    I'm not very familar with Fender's neck profiles, and I see a lot of different measurents depending on the year of the Bass, so I'm trying to figure out which one of Fender's necks (year?) profiles it resembles.

I really like the neck profile on my '03 Stringray 4, which is 11" radius (not sure about the back profile though, hence this post) and I want to try and find a Fender neck that is similar in profile so I can build a P or J with a similar feel to my Ray.

Thanks for the Help. :help:
  2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

The Fender neck designations were related to width of the fingerboard at the nut, not neck profile. "A" = 1-1/2" (Jazz bass), "B" = 1-5/8" (modern P-bass), "C" = 1-3/4" (vintage P-bass or reissue). Stingrays have "B" width necks, and I think Sterlings are "A".

Some people use letters such as "C", "D", and "U" to represent curvatures. The shape of the letter equates to the shape of the profile: "C" is oval, "D" is flattened oval, etc. So, a "C" profile (used for any bass) is not the same as the Fender "C" width neck... just a coincidence that the same letter is used.

Used to be that Fender necks were hand carved, and profiles could vary greatly. The famous Fender "V" profile necks were simply mistakes: a batch was carved a lot pointier than intended. But Fender wasn't going to let all that material go to waste, so the mistake became a feature. Not a big deal, some players like "V" profile necks.

I guess none of that answers your question about what Fender feels like a Stingray... sorry, can't help there. :p
  3. Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Thanks Fuzzbass. I'm not 100% sure, but the way it feels and looks, I think my Stingray might be a C neck? (the carving on the back)
  4. I would definitely describe the Stingrays I have played as a "C" profile, and a somewhat chunky one at that. I'm not really sure about a similar Fender neck. I think you should try P-basses until you find one you like. Good luck!