1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

'03 Stingray Neck Profile - Closer to Fender "B" or "C" profile?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Groover, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    I'm not very familar with Fender's neck profiles, and I see a lot of different measurents depending on the year of the Bass, so I'm trying to figure out which one of Fender's necks (year?) profiles it resembles.

I really like the neck profile on my '03 Stringray 4, which is 11" radius (not sure about the back profile though, hence this post) and I want to try and find a Fender neck that is similar in profile so I can build a P or J with a similar feel to my Ray.

Thanks for the Help. :help:

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

The Fender neck designations were related to width of the fingerboard at the nut, not neck profile. "A" = 1-1/2" (Jazz bass), "B" = 1-5/8" (modern P-bass), "C" = 1-3/4" (vintage P-bass or reissue). Stingrays have "B" width necks, and I think Sterlings are "A".

Some people use letters such as "C", "D", and "U" to represent curvatures. The shape of the letter equates to the shape of the profile: "C" is oval, "D" is flattened oval, etc. So, a "C" profile (used for any bass) is not the same as the Fender "C" width neck... just a coincidence that the same letter is used.

Used to be that Fender necks were hand carved, and profiles could vary greatly. The famous Fender "V" profile necks were simply mistakes: a batch was carved a lot pointier than intended. But Fender wasn't going to let all that material go to waste, so the mistake became a feature. Not a big deal, some players like "V" profile necks.

I guess none of that answers your question about what Fender feels like a Stingray... sorry, can't help there. :p

3. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Thanks Fuzzbass. I'm not 100% sure, but the way it feels and looks, I think my Stingray might be a C neck? (the carving on the back)

4. I would definitely describe the Stingrays I have played as a "C" profile, and a somewhat chunky one at that. I'm not really sure about a similar Fender neck. I think you should try P-basses until you find one you like. Good luck!