1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

'04 P-bass question: Push/pot volume knob?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bert Slide, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Bert Slide

Bert Slide

May 16, 2012
    Louisville KY
    I've been looking around lately for a good p-bass and I just came across a 2004 MIA for a really good price. I'm no expert on P's and their features and this one has a volume knob with a button in the center that you can push in. When engaged it seems to cut the lows somewhat but certainly doesn't sound better to me, actually makes it hollower and empty sounding. What is the reason for this button? Why do I not see this on older and newer P's? I'm pretty sure sure this is a passive bass as I see no battery compartment. The bass sounds pretty good with the button unengaged, as least as much as I can tell in a crowded music store. If I buy this bass is it possible I might have regrets down the road for any reason and feel the need to change the pot, knob and or pickup?

I realize that question is very subjective so I guess what I'm asking is what are peoples experience with this setup? Why did Fender do it cause it sure adds nothing to the tone for me.

2. It's Fender's S-1 switch, I believe it changes the pickup from parallel to series wiring.
    Many have expressed their distaste for that feature on a P-Bass.

--Silvie

3. Worse received idea in Fender history. Possibly tied with grease bucket circuit.

4. Bert Slide

Bert Slide

May 16, 2012
    Louisville KY
    I A/B'ed it with a new Am Standard and found the output a little lower volume and not as bright sounding as the new one. This could just be the difference in new strings on the new bass. Regardless if you engage the button it sounds like you just threw a wet blanket on your amp. I could live with that because you don't have to engage the button but I'm curious as to what other's thought about any tonal or mechanical differences of this setup for better or worse. I'm not big on bells and whistles and when an "improvement" is introduced and then abandoned I become quite skeptical.

5. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Back then both the Jazz and Precision got the S1 switch. It's a parallel/series: works pretty good on a J (which is normally wired parallel), but not so much on a P (P pickup is historically wired in series).

6. Bert Slide

Bert Slide

May 16, 2012
    Louisville KY
    Thanks for the info. Now that I know what it's called I've done some searching and found the general consensus is exactly what I thought, it's as useless as teats on a bull! :spit:

7. rdwil191

rdwil191 Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    western PA
    I hated it on my 06 p...at 1st. Now I use it about 95% of the time. Takes away some lows, but allows me to dig in when I want to and seems to create an "eveness" to my tone. I don't use any effect pedals. But, I'm the odd one out on this one...as you found out...most hate it, don't use it, or replace it.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021