1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

04 Rickenbacker V's Fender Jazz 06 neck.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by A.CLAYTON, Apr 29, 2010.

1. I'm looking at buying a Rickenbacker without being able to play one,what is the playability like neck wise compared to a jazz?I love the tone and look but they are extremely rare in Australia so i can't play one before buying it.:help:

2. waynobass

waynobass

Feb 27, 2008
    Texas
    Confusing thread title! Try:

Rickenbacker neck vs. Fender Jazz neck

Also, I thought you lived in Ireland, not Australia. :p

3. Engine207

Engine207 Losing faith in humanity...one call at a time.

Jul 10, 2008
    Higley, AZ
    Heh! I thought Ric5 went commercial with his awesome conversions!

4. :D To answer the OP's question. Ric necks feel nothing like a jazz neck. With a jazz neck you have quite a bit of taper from the nut to the heel of the neck. With a Ric, there's hardly any. Feels about the same from the first fret all the way up the neck. I would say a Ric neck (at least the more recent ones) feels more like a P bass neck that's been spread out and evened up from nut to neck heel, if that makes sense.

5. Feel wise they're REALLY different. The Rick neck doesn't taper - the Jazz does. The Jazz is thinner at the nut and shallower front-back. Rick necks vary depending on the year. I've never played an '06 but apparently they're quite chunky.

6. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    Hmmm ... not gonna happen ... not much money in that ... By the time I buy parts and do the labor I don't make enough per hour.

7. Ric5

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    The jazz neck is narrow at the nut and tapers wider as it approaches the body.

A Rickenbacker neck is wider at the nut but does not taper much so higher up the neck it will be narrower than the jazz.

If you like the tapering neck go with the jazz if not then go with the Ric.

8. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    Rickenbacker necks is nothing like a Jazz neck, but they seem to have the "magic" of making all the other bass necks feel like Jazz necks!

Okay, I had the pleaseure of playing a new Rickenbacker in store, side by side with a Warwick Thumb. Even the notoriously chunky Warwick neck felt easier to play in comparison, at least IMHO.

It's definitely more uniform in width up and down the neck. But for me, the tough thing for me to adjust to was the shape of the neck. The sides of the neck seem to extend a little deeper than normal basses, and the back also flattens out quite a bit. It felt almost like a 2 by 4 with the bottom side rounded off.

At the same time, when I checked out Satchurio's '85 Rickenbacker, his neck felt totally different, and plays well (the uniform width doesn't bother me, since I started on a P-style bass). So I'd say it's something you got to try out in person.

9. Ric5

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    Rickenbacker necks vary.

The original 4000 and 4001 basses had a neck so thin that many failed. About 73 the necks changed. They got the skunk stripe and got thicker. In 1980 the 4003 neck was even stronger and it got chunkier. But from 1980 to 2010 the necks have changed. Up until the late 90s they were hand made so they varied. In the late 90s to now they are made by cnc machines. But even then there are 2 neck profiles. Some 4003 basses got the thinner C64 neck and some got the chunkier 4003 neck. Then about a year ago they changed the 4003 and 4004 neck to a 2 piece neck that is thinner.

So not all 4003 and 4001 necks are the same. But one truth is they don't taper like a jazz neck.

10. Nice summary! :bassist:

11. Volume4

Volume4

Sep 15, 2009
    Long Island
    Not sure how much these comments will help, but....

I saw an inteview with Al Cisneros (Sleep, OM, Shrinebuilder) who I've never seen with anything but a Ric.....where he was asked about the Ric being his obvious bass of choice.

Al said the only other bass he liked the tone of was the Fender Jazz Bass but he likes the neck of the Ric much more.

I learned how to play on a used and very abused Ric 4001 and when I foolishly sold it and got an MIJ Squier Jazz bass, I was very frustrated. I was also too young to realize how good that Jazz bass actually was.

I like Jazz basses a lot now, but still want a Ric.....lots of folks have no problem switching between all kinds of different necks, scale lengths, number of strings......I'm not one of those people unfortunately......if you are like me, you're taking a big chance buying before you try.

12. artdrtr

artdrtr

Jan 24, 2008
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Being a lefty, I've never had an opportunity to even hold a left Ric before my 4003, but I wanted one. Took forever to find, so when one came up online, I had to buy sight unseen. (I also have a J and a P). Except for the transition at the first fret, the neck is great. I like fatter necks so I prefer the P neck over my J neck. Ric would hit it out of the park if they made the round-to-flat taper start closer to the nut or past it, IMO. I've also noticed this transition varies bass to bass from photos -- amazing there is no standard. For the price and variations, I bet some guy sits and whittles each neck..... So anyway, when I fret by the nut it is definitely more "chunky" and "boxier" then anything I've ever feel with any other bass. So does it bother me? Ask my P and J which are now collecting dust in the corner.

13. rob4001va

rob4001va Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2007
    Northern VA
    I have a 1976 4001. Very thin and "even" down the length with no taper, as noted above. TO me, it's the perfect neck. Only a Geddy Jazz feels thinner IME (not like I've played every bass out there though).

I also have a 2006 4003. This was the first year the 4003 neck started to get thinner...more like the older 4001's. Can't speak to the last couple of years, but my 4003 is similar to a Jazz (to me at least) but without the taper, as noted.

14. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I've had a few Ric 4001/3's, and mine have all been fairly slender in the neck, no matter when they were made.('76, '77, '85, '99, '06, and an '08 4004Cii). My newest, an '06, is just about as perfect as a neck on a bass can be. Having very little taper makes them feel *fast*. If the OP were to buy a brand new Ric bass, it would surely have a sweet slim neck. I think had any of my older ones been chunky, I'd probably not own any now.

15. Ric5

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    The slimmest neck on a Rickenbacker bass is the 2030. They have a neck like the jazz bass at the nut but like the 4003 at the body.

86_poster_p7.