1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

07 Fender American Jazz Deluxe?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SG-Jazz, Sep 26, 2008.

1. SG-Jazz

SG-Jazz

Dec 24, 2007
    Los Angeles
    My first dream bass. I bought this one last december, so far so good except a few bridge problems, i had a 04 jazz deluxe that unfortunently got stolen, they changed the pick ups and the tuners since then. is there any different pickups i should try on this baby, and do you recomend putting a bad ass bridge on it. I just need an overall opinion on this guy.
    JBass.

2. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    I had one, same year. I loved it and found nothing needed to be changed. I didn't feel any upgrades were necessary. I greatly prefer the SCN pickups over the previous Vintage Noiseless models.

Are you feeling something is missing from the tone? I wouldn't recommend an upgrade unless there is something specific you are trying to address. The bridge choice is pure opinion, some will say the BA makes a huge improvement while others say it makes no difference at all. I don't know what kind of bridge problems you are having, but the BA is not that expensive if you want to experiment. Again, I liked my tone enough that I didn't want to risk making any changes. YMMV.

3. SG-Jazz

SG-Jazz

Dec 24, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I get really good tones from it, its actually one of a few active basses ill use. The problems I had withe the bridg is with the g string saddles, every time i would raise the action a few days later it would find its way back down, weird. I took care of the problem by putting a credit card under the saddle. There were also a few stripped screw holes, nothing to detriment the tone except for the action ofcourse still sounds good though.:bassist:

4. Croox

Croox

Sep 16, 2007
    South Side Chicago
    I had one, for about 6 months Great bass, I loved it, but fell more in love with a passive american standard, it fits the music I pay better.

5. slap2much

slap2much Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2004
    Chicago
    ...and from the guy who ended up with that bass, I'm glad you did!

I switched to a Badass III bridge and noticed only a very slight difference. Not sure if I'd do it again but since it's there now it'll probably stay. I assumed I'd change out the pickups next but those new SCNs really do sound good.

Lately I've been considering switching out the preamp for an Audere. Not that the stock one is bad, but to me it does sound very 'present' and Audreres seem not as out front with the EQ points and tone shaping...however someone else here had problems with the Audere + SCNs and if that happens then it's gonna be Nordstrands instead. I wouldn't switch out the pickups otherwise, though.