1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

08 american standard jazz or Lakland 44-02

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Toneman, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Toneman

Toneman

Jun 6, 2001
    Long Island
    My main bass is an American standard P that I modded into a P/J. I can't decide for my second bass between keeping my 08 American standard jazz or getting a Lakland skyline 44-02. The 44-02 has 22 frets which I like along with more tone options but that said the sunburst finish on the Fender kills the Lakland in the looks department along with the oiled neck and headstock. That's my only criticism on Lakland the finish is so shinny and the neck and headstock look so pale like a Mexican fender.

2. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    I can't provide any help as to what you should do. They're different animals. But I will say this: My '08 Am. Std. Jazz has quietly become my favorite bass. (Of course, this can change from week to week! ;))

But I find myself grabbing it more than any of my other basses lately. I love the tone, and it just feels like an old friend. I certainly didn't need it when I bought it, but I got a great deal on it and couldn't pass it up. It actually surprises me that I like it as well as I do...

3. sparrow

sparrow

May 26, 2005
    Belgium
    i've got myself an merican jazz.. i love it.. altough i'd love to have a lakland in my hands.. to answer your question, no idea, just do a pickup swap.. and hear.. :hyper:

4. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    If thats your only criticism of the Lakland, then you should go with the Lakland.

Looks should be the least important factor in choosing a musical instrument. If it sounds good and plays good then it is good. If you get one that sounds, plays and looks good, then you got the trifecto. The blond maple on the Lakland will begin to have a nice gloss look on it over time and also take on a darker color. I havent seen any maple on any guitar or bass where that has not happened over time.

Edit: I own both MIA Fenders and a 55-02. The Lakland is my go to bass for most gigs.

5. +10000

I agree with everything you said. Best bass I've had in a long time and I've had quite a few.

6. 76Dub

76Dub Guest

Jul 9, 2008
    I love my fenders. They just feel like home

7. Toneman

Toneman

Jun 6, 2001
    Long Island
    I sold my jazz and got a 44-02. The 02 gives me what I wanted tone wise which is somewhat of a Stingray tone which I missed having used one through most of the eighties. Now that said as nice as the Lakland skylines are the build quality on my 08 Fenders are better. I'm a P and stingray guy at heart not a jazz guy other wise I would have never let my Fender go. My number bass will always be my Fender 08 P/J

Attached Files:

8. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    You cant beat the neck on Lakland......just cant beat it!!!

9. Let me help you here - GET BOTH! :D

There - fixing problems is what I do

10. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    My current #1 4 string is a 4-94. Having said that, I'd say get the jazz. Got too many miles on mine not to give it props.

11. LutherHeggs00

LutherHeggs00

Apr 11, 2006
    If you decide to go with the 44-02, I have a "as new" one that's been living under the bed for a little over a year now that I've been comtemplating selling to help fund a purchase of a Lakland Hollowbody. Purchased orginally from Bass Northwest and rarely played (it's never left my non-smoking climate controlled home), it's a the tobacco burst quilted maple deluxe with a maple fb and the new LH3 electronics. Again, it's as new as the day I got it, not a scratch, blemish or smudge.

Let me know if you're interested and I can send you pics, etc.

12. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    All of the Laklands I have had (6 Skylines and 2 US to date....soon to be 3 Skylines and 3 US) have had build quality better than the Fenders (even the '08s) IMHO.

The 44-02 is MUCH more versatile than a J bass and you can get a decent J sound out of it....I would try them side by side (If you can) to make a decision....if you really want a J - go for a Lakland DJ or a JO - both SWEET J basses (I have owned a DJ4, a DJ5 and curently have a Skyline JO5 and a US JO5CS) in their own right.....

13. Lakland by a mile.