1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

'08 Fender serial numbers

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ric426, Mar 12, 2009.

1. ric426

ric426 In my defense, I was left unsupervised. Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    I'm starting to shop for a new (or used) P bass and I've been reading about how much Fender has improved the '08 models. Are all the '08 basses better quality or did the improvements happen as of a certain date? In checking any site I could find that lists Fender serial numbers, they don't list any number newer than 2005. Are there any visible changes to the improved '08 models that would identify them? Just look for a Z8xxxxx serial number and assume that it's better? I know the usual method of finding a good Fender has been to just try every one you I can find until one stands out, but are the '08s much more consistent? At the new prices I would hope so, but let's not open that subject here.

2. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    Look for the new high mass bridge and a Z8.......

I've got two '08s and played another 6 or so. From that 8 I'd say the quality is very consistent.

3. they do seem consistent (at least the MIAs)... look for the bridge

4. Yes they're definitely more consistent. Best basses that Fender has put out in the last 40 years IMO.

5. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    One caveat: Some of the early '08's actually have a "Z7XXXXXX" S/N. It's an '08, but looks like an '07 because of the S/N. Like somebody said, look for the new High Mass bridge. If it's a "new" one with a Z7... S/N, it should also come with the newer style Fender hard-shell case with the TSA locks on it.

6. ric426

ric426 In my defense, I was left unsupervised. Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Thanks for the info. On my lunch break I got to try an American Standard P that has a Z8xxxxxx S/N, newer case and high mass bridge and it was surprisingly nice. Light weight, set up decent, fairly even response. It was discounted from the old price too, which makes it even more attractive. I may be buying new instead of used after all.