1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

'08 jazz - fralins, nordstrands, custom shop 60's??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by roosterbass, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Got an '08 jazz about a month ago and am looking to upgrade the pups...i have it down to these 3, and am interested in aeros just havent heard much about them. does anyone have any knowledge as to what pickups come in the new 08 american standards? i want to retain a vintage vibe, no hum canceling pickups needed, and want more low end...going for a smooth, articulate sound...im thinking of replacing all volume and tone pots w/ 250K if they arent already to naturally roll off some of the highs, i play solely with my fingers, no slap style

2. I swear by the CS 60's that I have. I've never had a set of pickups that were as even and punchy across all the strings. While they are articulate, there is a little bit of dirt in 'em. Perhaps from being overwound?
    Great pickup...worth every penny I paid for 'em!

3. lambro

lambro

Jun 1, 2004
    has the most mojo of any JB PU I have played

(other than my friends original 1962)

4. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    I am also interested in this. I played a Fralin equipped J bass and loved the slight dirt/grind when you dug in a bit. But I want tobe sure I've found a pickup that gets me the most punch and good low end without going with an over wound,super hot pickup that I find causes a pickup to lose it's character.

5. hairscrambled

hairscrambled Commercial User

Feb 1, 2006
    Albuquerque, NM
    Store owner, Grandma's Music & Sound
    I just got an '08 Am Std J. I have Model Js, Nordstand NJ4s and a set of Fralin 5% overwound humbuckers. Tomorrow I'll try the Fralins since I've never heard these. The stockers don't seem to have much punch. If you find something you like let us know. We have a simlar playing style.

6. Just put a set of AERO ALinco 5s in my Lakland JO5. WOW! And dont take my word for it, were in the studio on Firday, and the low end came trough so clear and articulate. No more muddy low C's or B's for me! And they have ballz as well. Height has a big ipmact on sound. Blew my NJ5 away. One guy's ( and the studio engineers) opinon

7. hairscrambled

Feb 1, 2006
    Albuquerque, NM
    I tried the Fralin splits 5% overwind today and as soon as heard them I decided to put them in my fretless J. They were fuzzy with rich harmonics. The balance was similar to Nordstrands and stockers. I think that they are going to be great fretless pickups. Tomorrow morning I'm putting the Nordstrand NJ4s in the 08 Jazz. I'll let you know how it works.

8. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    Both great pickups ...

Use and own both, and find the Nords slightly darker but still very detailed, and the Fralins do have that nice bright grind.

;) ... Kinda depends on what voice you want for the bass,

9. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I have noiseless Fralins in my 2003 American Series Jazz, and think they're fantastic. I've always thought they were a worthwhile upgrade, both for eliminating noise and improving tone. But I just bought a 2008 American Standard Jazz V, and its stock pickups sound great too, with lots of growl, clarity, and punch. I was somewhat surprised, so I asked Fender whether the pickups were changed for 2008. I was told they're the same as before, but the Fender rep said the better woods used could explain the tonal improvement. Who knows?

Regardless, I was curious about how the two basses compare. So I installed new Fender rounds on my 2003, and A/B'd them through headphones last night. The 2008 Fenders are very close to the Fralins, but have more sparkle in the highs as you'd expect from pure single coils. And of course they hum. Otherwise they're about the same.

So you may want to play with the stock pickups for awhile before spending for new ones. If possible, bring your Fender to a dealer that carries basses equipped with others (e.g., Lull, Lakland) so you can hear for yourself.

10. hairscrambled

Feb 1, 2006
    Albuquerque, NM
    I played my 08 Am Std J with with the NJ4s and put the stock PUPs into a Highway 1 I have so I could compare the two. The stockers are nice. They have a good lower mid punch. Balance and tone are both good. A nice pickup in a nice bass. The NJ4s sound very different. A bit of boom in the lows. Other than that the balance is good. I would cut a little bass off the amp with these. The punch of the stockers was replaced with a softer slightly compressed attack. The Norstrands were also bright but the harmonics were rich and it gave the insrtrument an almost bowed sound on long notes (I couldn't stop playing long notes with vibrato). These pickups are not real clean. There is a bit of that over wound fuzz in there but the articulation and harmonic richness are well worth a little distortion. Tomorrow I play with piano and drums at an improv class. I'll let you know how they do there.

11. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Yes I played a 08 Amer.Standard Jazz today for quite a while and thought the pickups sounded a lot more lively than in past years. Especially on the top end.

The NJ4's have also reported by other to be pretty heavy in the lows. That is appealing for me. But I've read some say they didn't think they had much in the way of dirty, breakup,distortion (whatever one calls it). Interesting to hear you say you hear it because this is also something I like in Jazz pickups. Now super glassy highs is something I'm do not want. So can you elaborate on the highs? are they smooth or on the harsh side?

Also guys who now have the 08 Am. Jazz. Do you find the bridge pickup route/hole to be quite large. As in, it could have been done with a little more precision for the size of the pickup??

12. hairscrambled

Feb 1, 2006
    Albuquerque, NM

The NJ4s definitely have more highs and lows than the stockers. They are much more open sounding. The stockers probably have distortion but since it's darker it less noticable. I didn't try to equalize the treble. I wouldn't call the treble glassy but rich with the right overtones. The nuance in you're playing is more apparent with the NJ4s. The stockers are nice but kind of blunt sounding compared to the NJ4s.

13. hairscrambled

Feb 1, 2006
    Albuquerque, NM

The bridge pickup route is a little oversized but overall the details are very well done. The fret dressing is first rate.

14. hairscrambled

Feb 1, 2006
    Albuquerque, NM
    My tone was lousy with the Nordstands. It was all air and woof. I'm not blaming the pickups since the room has a huge standing wave and certain bass notes just puff up. I'll try the stockers Saturday and in the woof room next week to see what happens. I've read lots of good things about Nordstands so it was probably the envoirment.

15. They were as thick as the AEROS, but really,the two basses they were loaded in had a different acoustic sound, so, sometimes you really cant tell until you try.

16. hairscrambled

Feb 1, 2006
    Albuquerque, NM
    I spoke with Carey yesterday and ordered a set of NJ4SEs. A friend that heard the NJ4s bought them immeadiately. He agreed that the hamonics are rich and musical. Carey said the sound of the SE is "thicker" in the mids.