1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

'08' MIA Fender Jazz's that aren't all that?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vinxbass, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Has anyone come across a new '08' MIA Fender Jazz Bass 4 or 5 string that they feel is not all that? I haven't yet, but have heard blanket statements that they are all crap from certain individuals. Well I own one, too me, that is all that and some; I'm very pleased with it. I'd like to hear from you if you have come across a sub par '08' MIA Jazz 4 or 5'er and what you thought made it sub par.:smug:

2. I've played 3 or 4 and they were all exquisite. Not a bad one in the bunch. rockon.gif

3. I played one at a local GC that sounded and played very nice. However, the edges of the rosewood fretboard, about 3/16" on both sides, looked and felt like a washboard (saw blade chatter). It was as if they didn't bother sanding/smoothing it at all. You could see it from across the room. I wish I would have taken a picture of it to post here. It didn't seem to affect the playability at all but I can't believe something like that would get past an inspection. It was also quite heavy. I'm not going to judge them all by that one "bad apple" but nothing like that would come from the smaller upscale builders.

4. I dunno........

It's been my experience that the following usually happens:

I like ______ basses.

followed by about 22 replies that go like this:

_______ basses are crap because ________doesn't play them.

or:

________ basses are crap because _______ didn't build them.

Point being that "can't please everyone all the time" so why try??

If you like 'em great!! Play the daylights out of them!! I personally use Fender and Rickenbacker as my main basses, so I tend to like them....:D

For those who don't like 'em......Okay! I understand! Enjoy your _______Bass!!!

Signed:

5. +1 here. I've played several and all were great. One I played at my local GC was poorly setup but still sounded great. The new Jazz and P-basses are both really well done.

6. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    Exactly,however I don't own a Rickenbacker.

7. I played one not too long ago that "felt" really nice. only had a sec to hear it through an amp I'm not familiar w/ so I won;t comment on the sound (which was good:eyebrow:)

w/ a company as large as Fender there are bound to be lemons that slip through the cracks. My only gripe w/ newer fenders is their weight. They just feel a little lighter, which I know is probably a plus and due to manufacturing refinements. but I still have this wall in my brain that lighter=cheaper:bag:

8. Evan_S._Brown

Evan_S._Brown

Jan 10, 2008
    i work at a bass store so i get to see a lot of the 08 american standards come in. i haven't found a bad one yet and i've played quite a few. the quality is great

that's weird, that was a big feature on the new 08 USA standard basses was that they had rolled edges....i wonder how that passed inspection too. hopefully there aren't too many of them around

9. Mine is a beauty (08 3TS/maple board Precision.) I did have to pick it out of three, though. The other 3TS had awful half finished lacquer on the back & the neck edges didn't feel right at all. The other strange thing about the one I rejected was that it was several pounds heavier than mine.

All in all, though I'm very pleased with mine & I guess you're going to have these kinds of issues when you buy a mass produced instrument. It's not like Roger Sadowsky's personally checking each bass off a production line of Fender's size, is it?

10. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I've tried a few, and I think they are the best production Fenders, ever. IMHO.

11. I've only tried them at the local small shop (3 - black\maple, burst\maple, white\maple) and at one of the local GC's (black\maple, white\rosewood, burst\rosewood). They were all in need of a setup but otherwise fine!

Ended up buying the white\maple from the small shop.

Even the P's were good and I'm not a P guy so much.

As already stated, too each his\her own, I don't need the approval or disapproval of the web community to validate my preferences in gear be it SX, PV, Fender, EBMM, Ampeg, GK, SWR, Lakland, Avatar, Squier, etc., etc.

12. Croox

Croox

Sep 16, 2007
    South Side Chicago
    I played one black/maple that looked like crap(seams showing through the pain and sealer, action like a crossbow) but sounded allright
    I also saw a Blizzard pearl/rosewood one and the fretboard was split vertical and was two different colors :eek: looked like crap

::note both where at the Burbank Illinois Guitar center ::

13. My new Jazz 5'er weighs 10 lbs. on a digital human scale, which in actuality could weigh 9.76 -10.24 lbs. That's because the scale only measures in .5 lb increments.

My point being that, sure there are some Fenders that may simply slip through the cracks, but to make a blanket statement that new MIA Fender Jazz's are crap, is to me incorrect.

14. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I think they are fine, and at least as nice as Skyline Joe Osborne Sigs. My only wish is that Fender would make a passive seventies style Jazz V.:D

15. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    I've played three, a P and two js. One of the Js was a good bass, the other were superb in every way.

I thought it was a typical pile-on the way everyone was raving about them, but they came up with a great package that feels as good to me as the vintage and RI models.

I found them more growly and alive sounding than most previous MIA offerings, and the fit and finish was real nice on all three.

Anyone who says they are all crap either just doesn't like Fenders, or doesn't know what a good bass is, IMO.

I found the buffed rosewood boards a bit unusual but it's only because I'm not used to them.

16. I saw two Blizzard pearl/rwd Jazz basses with the 2 tone color fret board that you described and 1/8'' gaps on treble and bass sides of the pickups . All the remaining '08 Jazzes and P-basses at two GC stores in Colorado were perfect.

17. Croox

Croox

Sep 16, 2007
    South Side Chicago
    I've only seen that one. you think they would have scrapped that rosewood if theres a few on them floating around

18. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Forgot to mention that the light weight was a big plus for me. I love light Fenders.

19. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    IMHO, the new American Standard P-basses and Jazz basses are the best
    bass instruments Fender has offered in many many years. I've played
    about a dozen samples. They were all excellent, though I spotted a high
    20th fret on one P-bass. The fret tang was not quite fully seated in the
    fret slot. :ninja:

Other than that one flaw, they were all fine. I wish I could afford one of
    each! :eek:

PS. I'm not that crazy about the B string on the 5ers. I like 35" scale 5-strings
    and their tight Bs.

20. What I'm finding out about my Jazz V is how good it sounds in so many different rooms that I play in.:) It's amazing, I had a Carvin LB75AP Anniversary 5'er that I was playing before I got the Jazz and I was constantly tweeking the bass and amp's eq just to try to get that bass to sound good in the rooms we were playing in - it was a nightmare, at times.:help: But with the my new MIA Jazz V it sounds great in every room with little or no tweaking of the eq at all. I find that to be awesome!!:)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 25, 2021