08 MIA Jazz Pickups.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JoeyZ, Feb 9, 2009.

1. JoeyZ

JoeyZ

May 9, 2005
    '08 MIA Standard Jazz Pups:

I'm assuming these particular pickups are better than the stock Pups in the MIM Standards?
    Just picked up a standard and have run into the same buzzing problem i've read about..
    I want to upgrade, and these can be found for dirt cheap on the bay so I think it's a viable option provided they don't buzz when they're not at the same volume.

what do you think?

Please spare me the Bartolini, Lindy Fralin, EMG, Noiseless, up sell!! Thanks!!

2. if they are anything like my 97 MIA pickups they should be pretty good, in fact I have gone through different pickups and came back to the original ones.
    They will buzz nonetheless when used alone since they are single coils, I think the main reason the old MIMs used to buzz loudly was lack of shielding as compared to the MIA, I believe the newer MIMs do have shielding though

3. JoeyZ

JoeyZ

May 9, 2005
    I put a bid on a set for .99 cents. I'll lose no doubt but since posting this I've done a bit of research and have found the De Marzio Model J's fairly well reviewed and are a great value! If there as good as everyone is making them out to be i think i'll be pleased!!

4. markdavid

markdavid

Jun 29, 2007
    the '08 MIA Standard Jazz Pups will buzz if there not at the same volume as they are single coils , however I believe the Dimarzio you was talking about is a split humbucker so I dont think they will buzz

5. zeppelinbass95

zeppelinbass95

Dec 26, 2008
    PA
    I have the dimarzios in a squier vintage mod. fretted. AMAZING. 2 thumbs up 10\10 ect. Totaly changed my bass. bridge is nice and jazzy and the mid. sounds for like a p bass pickup. Wonderful combo.

6. yeah Dimarzios are good, but you lose a bit of the jazzy vibe of single coils, I had the Model Js loved them, very heavy low mids, no hum but sounded too compressed to my ears, honky would be the description I would give them. Perfect if you play in a loud rock band with buzzsaw guitars...

7. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I have a 2008 Am. Std. Jazz V, and the pickups are fantastic. They sound just as good as the noiseless Fralins in my 2003 American Series four string. Actually, apart from the single coil hum, they're even better than the Fralins b/c of the additional high end sparkle. I would assume the four string version would sound great as well. So if you can get them cheap, and you don't mind some single coil hum when they're not at the same volume, I say go for it. The only reason I'd change would be to go noiseless. I might eventually, but I really, really dig these pickups, so I haven't seriously considered it.

8. Sterling4

Sterling4

Dec 15, 2008
    USA
    I just picked up an '07 MIA Jazz Bass (S-1 et al) as New Old Stock and have found it to sound really nice as equipped, even through a cheezy SS amp. The only change I plan on is white to tortise pick guard. I don't feel at all compelled to spend another $100 or more to swap pickups. If someone would give me a set of Antiquities or Custom Shops (B'Day, X-Mas or whatever) OK well, I'll put 'em in. Otherwise the stock ones are just fine for me.

9. JoeyZ

JoeyZ

May 9, 2005
    A friend of mine said she could get me a set of Bassline Vintage Jazz Bass pickUps for $70 new. What do you think?
    Also, I'm really not digging the logo there. Is it possible to switch the pickup covers on those?

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021