1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

08 PBass MUCH louder than 93 Jazz

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Fletz, May 9, 2010.

1. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    Fellow Bass Freaks -

My two main basses are a 2008 American Standard P-Bass and a 1993 American Standard (last year of the Long Horn/boner) Jazz Bass. I use the P-Bass for 80% of our gigs - Rock Box is a bar band - and the Jazz for our 1/2 step down songs. The problem is, there is a very noticable db drop when I plug in the Jazz. I think it's more that the P- is more powerful than the Jazz is weak as my Geddy J and a MIM P-Bass also suffer the drop when I've used them on occassion. I love the feel of the 93 Jazz. As you can imagine, 17 years of working in the neck makes it an incredible play (and, for the record, I am the only owner of this red lovely).

So, here's what I'd like to know - are the pups in my 2008 that much stronger? And, if I'd like to keep that power/volume, should I swap out my Jazz pups. (I would of course lovingly keep them somewhere to maintain the original parts). If that's the right move, what do you recommend for good low end response with a top layer of Jazz growl?

If it's not the pups in your opinion, let me in on that too. All POVs are welcomed and encouraged.

Thanks!

2. Muckaluck

Muckaluck

Oct 11, 2005
    Whitby, Ontario
    Check the height of the P pickup. It's possible that if you move the P pickup further away from the strings, it might get closer in volume to your other basses. This might impact the tone of the P bass a bit but I think it would help match the levels of the other basses.

3. I'm not an expert, but I found my 2008 Jazz '62 Reissue was lacking force, similar to what you're saying, compared to my P Bass and definitely my Stingray HH 5, although that's an active bass so it's obviously different. What solved the problem for me was getting the EBS ValveDrive preamp for use with the Jazz. I have it on all the time and the Jazz sounds great, plenty of power and great tone.

4. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    Actually, I wonder if I should try bringing the height of my Jazz pups up (if there's room).

5. Muckaluck

Muckaluck

Oct 11, 2005
    Whitby, Ontario
    Yeah bringing up the jazz pups could work too.