1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

'08 USA Jazz or Precision?? Which is a better deal?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Crabby, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    The new US standard jazz and P-basses so far look like an amazing deal. They come with the new SKB case, have an upgraded bridge, nicer finnish, lighter tuners, finished headstock and new neck finish.

I know there are tons of threads regarding jazz vs. P-bass. But in regards to these new USA standard models, which one looks like a better deal?

I love the idea of a passive old school p-bass but if i was to go for a jazz, am I better off with a deluxe active version over the standard passive one.

I plan on getting a standar p or Jazz very soon but am torn as to which would be a better buy. I already have a MIM fretless passive jazz and my other basses ar an SR4 and SR5.

I'm leaning toward a P-bass as I have nothing that gets the old school p-bass thump. But the thought of a sweet USA jazz to go with my fretless is so tempting!

Give me your thoughts...

2. BassJunkie13

BassJunkie13

Feb 19, 2008
    California
    Im Personaly a Jazz bass guy. But either one you pick would be a good bass.

3. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    If you already have a passive Jazz, get the P. I don't think either is a better deal, and you'll need both anyway so it doesn't really matter where you start! :D However, if you think you might want an active American Deluxe down the road, it should be a Jazz. The noiseless pickups are a nice advantage, and it still sounds like a classic J. But the Am. Deluxe P doesn't nail a P-bass vibe IMO.

4. Matt R.

Matt R.

Jul 18, 2007
    Huntsville AL
    I own about 8 jazz basses, but I missed having a PBass, so I got an '08 and I'm loving it. I put new 70s RI tuners on it though. Stock tuners are a bit sketchy

5. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    What type of alterations did you have to make to the headstock,if any, to fit it with those 70's tuners?

6. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I mean, with the Jazz you get two volume pots instead of one. That's a better value is you ask me.

7. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Right now, I'm impartial to Jazzes.
    I've played Precision basses for my entire bass career.

And now with this '75...sweet Jesus.

8. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    Hmmm the P is calling to me. And the sunburst with torte option is a fantastic color combo.

9. Matt R.

Matt R.

Jul 18, 2007
    Huntsville AL
    The peghead holes are the correct size, so all I had to do was drill the holes for the tuner screws on the back.

10. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    i am the idea that both are a must in a player gear, so if yo can get both ! :)

11. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Tasty!

12. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I've played them both quite a few times, and both are excellent. Either is a good choice.

For me, as I have owned and played many P-basses, I feel I can be a little more discerning about those than the Jazzes. My conclusion about the new Fender P-basses with rosewood fingerboards is that they easily equal the better Fender CBS P-basses, and blow away most of them from any era. Just wish they offered a real "C" neck as an option.

13. I'm thinking of a 08 white P-bass and plan to put active pups in it, mabe Bart or Nordstrom pup and bart pre. I love the quality of the bass but I want a modern sound, the playability is great on these new bass'.

14. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I'd give stock pups a chance before the mods.

I did and found that an outboard pre was a better way to go for me. It makes a passive bass go active. I kept my stock pups installed and have used a ParaDI sansamp, a bass compacter, and some others, too.

The advantage is that I made no permanent mods my P-basses and can easily change to a different Pre-amp.

15. So, something like an Aggie outboard pre would do a just about the same thing?
    I like the aggie pre in my Spector.

16. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    JMO, but if you're going to play a P keep it passive. A passive P is a classic sound unto itself and does not need anything between the bass and the amp to make it sound better. Why should it? A P already sounds like a P.

17. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    +1

You are right, of course.

It's just that I found having some boost and EQ in a pre can give the P-bass a bit wider color range--in addition the P-Thang. Also, the ParaDI I use does some nice tube-like stuff, and the much maligned Bass Compactor was an effective pre/EQ/compressor when used correctly.

All useful in some styles, for me.

18. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004

Wow, thats quite a ringing endorsement, but not so different from what many are saying about these new models. I was eying up a lefty 07 US P-bass the other day that was being "blown out" for $900. It was plain black with a whote pg but it sure played nice.

For the extra $100 or so I think I would be crazy to not hold out for an 08 with the new features and case. I have always wanted a P-bass but love the growl and feel of the classic Jazz. I guess the real answer is likely to get both! But I am really leaning towards the P for now. Thanks for the responses everyone!

19. I much prefer Bloomingdale pups. :p