Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by fluchs666, Jul 25, 2009.

  1. fluchs666


    Jul 12, 2009
    So I tried stringing my bass and when the string is wound tight, the string is basically touching the fret board at the 1st-5th frets and is super close all the way down so I can't tune or play it. Is this some kind of crazy bow in the neck? I don't know alot about basses
  2. Stumbo

    Stumbo Guest

    Feb 11, 2008
    Would you be able to post a picture?
    What type of strings did you have before and did it play okay?
    Did you take off all the strings before installing the new ones?
    Did you let the bass sit w/o strings?
    What type of strings are you installing?
  3. J. Crawford

    J. Crawford Supporting Member

    Feb 15, 2008
    Good tip, make your posts have a meaningful title.

    But your bass probably needs a setup.. Have you had the bass setup since purchase?
  4. fluchs666


    Jul 12, 2009
    Probably can't post a picture, I'll try.
    I had rotosound swing bass 66 strings they did play alright, but I noticed my bass had a buzz that would not go away, and I think one day when I was away my dad says he was gonna work on my bass to try and get rid of the buzz, but it didn't really work, so I know there probably is some adjustments made on my bass
    Yes I did let the bass sit without strings for 2 days
    I'm installing the stock ibanez strings that it came with (I was going to go the music store and pick up new strings, but I have yet to go)
  5. RickenBoogie


    Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    You need to have your bass set up, professionally. Indeed, you should learn how to do it yourself, but right now, you've damaged, (slightly) your bass by letting it sit unstrung for 2 days. No tension on the neck, (strings), means the trussrod probably bowed your neck back. Don't do that again, change strings, one at a time. But right now, take the bass to a qualified tech, and spend the 75 bucks to have it set up properly.
  6. fluchs666


    Jul 12, 2009
    Thank you