Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1,000 dollar rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fenderbluesdude, Aug 6, 2004.

1. i am planning on getting a nice rig that will last me along time, i want a rig under 1,000 dollars, i dont want a full stack just one good cab that can handle power, i dont want a pre/power setup just head/cab. i currently have the avatar 2x12 zand behringer bx3000t head 300watts @4ohms the cab is 8 ohms so basically i am only pushing 165 watts through it and that can handle a 50watt guitar alltube fender super reverb and a loud drummer, its plenty loud! i was thi9nking about the peavey 410tvx with the max 700 but thats pushin my money limmit. so basically i want a head/cab rig has to be over 200watt and under 1000 watts, only one cab that can handle outdoor gigs and everything else without pa. give me some ideas

2. my suggestion.....

Traynor YBA200 (550 bucks)
    and
    keep your 212

or save up another 150 bucks so you can get

Traynor YBA200>Schroeder 1210

3. bump

4. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    Get a 2nd 2x12 to match your first (my main rig has 4 12s, it's AWESOME) and chain the 2 together for the Behringer amp. Save for another amp down the road.

:bassist:

5. i just want one cab that can do everything the avatar 2x12 is good, but i am going to eventually sell teh avatar and the behringer. i just want a simple rig that can handle outdoor gigs to small gigs, probably a 4x10 and a 500watt head but what brands?

6. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Dude, why not go w/ a pre/power setup, & augment your cab situation...

Maybe a BMax SS or a Sansamp RBI, & a QSC... You can find BMax SS's or RBI on EBay for 299 new... & the same goes for a QSC 850... That leaves you 400 to get another cab,, maybe another 212, or 410.

7. how many watts is that qsc power thing and how exactly does it work

8. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Ok,

A head, is really a combo of 2 units,,, a pre-amplifier & a power amplifer...

The pre-power solutions everyone talks about, is really just the same thing, only using seperate pieces...

In the example I gave, The Sansamp = the Pre-Amp & The QSC = the Power Amp...

Bob Lee would best be able to give the virtues of any power amps in the QSC arsenal,, but here's what I get from thier website...

An RMX 850 is a stereo power amp, which, at 8ohms,, puts out 200 watts per channel... at 4 ohms 300 watts per channel & at 2 ohms, 430 watts per channel...

You CAN get a 2nd cab, & run 1 cab per channel...

OR, you can even use the configuration switches on the power amp, & combine both channels in a single bridged mono amp.... Doing that, would get you,,,600watts @ 8ohms, or 830 watts @ 4ohms...

So, w/ your existing 212, & by merely replacing your BX3000, w/ a pre-power setup like this,,, you could increase your output DRAMATICALLY... your cab is 8ohms... Run an 850 bridged mono, & you'd have 600 watts at your fingertips...

9. Happy MurphDay

Happy MurphDay

Mar 9, 2004
    around
    A head is really a preamp and power amp in a single unit, a pre power setup is very versitile because you can get a sound(pre) you like and power it acordingly, you would need a extra patch cord to hook them up and prob a rack mount to hold both. the good thing is you can get a tuner racmountable aswell as a surge protector power strip

your cab now is gig worthy and the cab can handle 1000 watts, you can find a qsc plx 1402 for around 300 used, try ebay, you could even use your head now as a pre amp, on the back it prob has a "preamp out" and just hook it to the input of the power amp, that should help significantly

10. Happy MurphDay

Happy MurphDay

Mar 9, 2004
    around
    you beet me to it hack!!!

11. well, that does seem like a pretty cool setup! so this is what i would get if i went pre/power setup

qsc rmx 850 power amp-$300
    sansamp rbi-$300

total 600

that leaves me $400 dollars for a cab

what would be a decent cab i could get besides avatar?

12. Happy MurphDay

Happy MurphDay

Mar 9, 2004
    around
    avatar cabs arnt really that bad, yes there are better out ther but i would get the pre power and see how it sounds, i gauntee it will make that thing sing loudly, if you then dont like the sound look for a cab then, i think your going to see a different side of your cab with that set up over the behringer. trust me.

or get the avatar 4x10 for 400 and use both, now that would be a amazing setup from what your comming from, nevermind the brands, the power alone will help your setup

13. actually i dont think i need that much power i think i might just get the peavey 410tvx cab and teh yorkville xs400h head with tube pre amp. that way i only spend around 900 bucks i think

14. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Since your Avatar 212 is 8ohm, if you get another 8ohm cab, you can run the QSC RMX850 in Bridge mode that will give you 830W into the resultant 4ohm load (with both cabs connected) or 600W into one 8ohm cab.

I would suggest either an Avatar B210 (if you want more punch) or another B212 (if you want stronger lows).

15. I DONT WANT TWO CABS!!!! i just want one good cab that can do everything from small gigs to loud outdoor gigs! i maid the mistake of bying an 8ohm cab but i have plenty of juice right know so i dont need or want two cabs! i just want a good head and a good cab, maybe a prepower setup but i need to have atleast 500 for a good cab.

i think this is what i might do

get the

yorkville xs400h head-400watts $480
    peavey 410tvx 4x10 $480

and maybe a rack case and a rack tuner.

i kepp turning back to the peavey beacuse it has one of the best sound i have ever herd!

maybe instead of getting the yorkie i would get the peavey max 450 or max 700.

16. well imo bro...if you want one cab that'll handle everything for ya....the Peavey will probly be a let down....I've never been impressed with any Peavey cabs except for a 215 I heard one time...and that was the only one that I'd ever liked the sound of....

17. Happy MurphDay

Happy MurphDay

Mar 9, 2004
    around
    were trying to help...

18. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    [***drool***] :cool:

19. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    You just don't understand, do you? :rollno:

You DO need that much power as a gigging bass player. Your Avatar cab is rated at 1000 watts at either 2, 4, or 8 ohms--depending on which you specified at purchase. As long as your speakers can handle it, you can NEVER have too much wattage. It will make you sound GOOD and CLEAR at whatever volume because you'll have headroom.

The Avatar is a fine cab and I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a single Talkbasser who would go to the expense of swapping one out with a Peavey or a Behringer. Epifani? Bergantino? OK. Peavey, no way.

If the sound or power level of your rig right now doesn't knock your socks off, it's because your head doesn't drive it adequately. Take all that money, sell whatever head you have now, and buy a good, strong, cheap power amp and a preamp that sounds nice. Now you've got exactly what you said you wanted.

20. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    Case in point. Opaque bass in the FS classifieds of TB has this: Get this, an RBI and you'd be SO set.

FS: QSC RMX 1450

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

QSC RMX 1450 Power Amp for sale

I've had this amp for a little while now, and have just decided that i don't need it anymore. It's in **excellent** condition and has never even left my house. I haven't used it for a few weeks and i figure i might as well sell it and get some $$$. So, anyway... I will sell this for $300 shipped. I don't remember filling out the warranty, so if that's really important to you...

Anyway, I prefer check or money order, and I will ship it in the original packaging.

Stereo: 280W @ 8 ohms, 450W @ 4 ohms, and 700W @ 2 ohms.

Bridged mono: 900W @ 8 ohms, 1,400W @ 4 ohms.

If you have any questions, please PM or Email me