1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

$1,000 to spend on an entire giggable rig. What would you do?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Argali, May 1, 2009.

1. Argali

Argali Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2008
    I want to do some spring cleaning and sell off a lot of guitars and pedals that I don't use. I figure I can scrape together a grand for all this stuff. I'd like to play bass just for fun with a few local groups, so I wanted to throw this question out to everyone:

If you only had a grand to spend on a bass AND amp capable of holding its own and sounding good at band practices and small gigs, what would you purchase?

If it helps I'm generally a rock/post-rock kind of player.

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I would scour my local Craigslist and find some super sweet used gear.

3. You can get a lot more for the money if you go used.

4. MIJ P or J+used Hartke Kickback 12+nice DI. You could probably afford a coupla beers too. :cool:

5. Argali

Argali Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2008
    I should add that with only $1,000 to spend, I would most likely buy everything used. I like buying used gear.

6. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    If I were you, I'd get a used Mesa Boogie 400+ which will cost you roughly a grand. You'll never need another amp so long as you're happy with the tone. In my opinion, its the ultimate rock amp.

I'd then try and borrow a cabinet until I could afford a used one, like an Ampeg 810 or 215 which can be had for around $300 if you keep on eye on Craigslist.

7. Argali

Argali Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2008
    Right, but what would you keep an eye out for in particular?

8. Hey there,

For the music you are into I would say look at a good 2nd hand Fender Jazz if you more inclined to a musicman sound then look at the Ibanez ATK range...you might be able to get a good condition warwick fortress or Corvette but I would be looking at Jazz and P's

Rig wise..

Ive always said that Trace Elliot produce(ed) some good quality kit and a 2nd hand 4x10 GP7 Combo should come in around the 400 mark...

Thats my opinion just stick to good old roots of a good quality Jazz bass or P Bass and a good middle ground rig like a Trace Elliot and you cant go wrong..

Plus with a good jazz theres always room for adding a new EQ and pickups..maybe a John East or an Agulia....

9. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    Hartke Hydrive gear is a big step up from the older stuff. I recently priced and tested a 500watt head and a 4x10 cab (for a church) for just over $1000.00. Really great stuff these days.

10. Argali

Argali Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2008
    Still need a bass though.

11. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I wish I knew where you were so I could help more (most people who ask questions about buying gear never fill out their profile.....it makes a difference.....it's useless to tell you to check out Sam Ash if you don't have one) Anyway.... Go used. Craigs List. Local auto trader mags usually have a sectionn for non-auto realted stuff. If you find something you're not clear about come back and ask us. Good luck!

12. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Didn't realize you didn't have one. I'd get a used Squier or SX bass and use that.

Its a lot harder to get a good bass tone, in my opinion and experience, with a great bass and a crappy amp than an ok bass and a good amp.

13. Argali

Argali Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2008
    I live near Princeton, NJ.

I do have a MIM Jazz Bass, but it's in rough shape. The nut is broken and it needs a set-up, not to mention new pickups. I'm not sure if it's worth it to upgrade the electronics and everything or if I'm better off hunting down a better used bass at a good price.

14. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    +1... search CL for a fender squire, a GK head and 410 cab. Should be able to get for a grand.

15. get a G&L tribute and an ampeg b100r used....

16. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Replacing a nut, and doing a set up isn't very hard and you can do it yourself if you're so inclined. A pickup swap is as easy as pie too.

Whats wrong with the electronics in the bass right now?

17. D Rokk

D Rokk Banned

Feb 19, 2009
    Delta Quadrant
    what i was thinking exactly

18. Vakmere

Vakmere

Sep 6, 2007
    Philly
    Squire bass and a 1x15 combo amp should do ya........

19. limit6

limit6 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Philly, PA
    Your ultimate holy grail would probably wind up being an SVT/Mesa 400 head with an Ampeg 8x10 or 2x15 w/ either a Ricky, Stingray, or P-bass.

In your situation, I can promise you you'd be happy with a setup like this, and all can be fetched USED for under a grand.

P-bass:
    CL will have one for about $200 if you keep your eyes peeled.

GK 800RB or 1001RB Head:
    These amps sound great and have a farty characteristic when combined with an aggressive right hand. great for post-rock. You can find these for between $250-400 used.

Mesa Diesel 2x15 or 4x10.
    You may never need to upgrade this cab. they are just phenomenal. The 2x15 is a my personal holy grail. Just sounds insane man. Get the 800 watt version. should run you about $200-400.

My opinion... take it with a grain of salt.